• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5 wiring question

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Swapped trannies this weekend on my MJ (2WD to 4WD AX5) and ran into a small problem. On the 2WD trans, there are 2 sensor/switches on the pass side that run into a single 4 pin connector, but the 4WD trans only has one sensor (the one more towards the front if looking down on it from above). The other sensor that wasn't there threads into the side and it's a ball/plunger type device. There's a boss cast into the side of the trans where it would go, but it's sealed and not threaded. Would that extra sensor be for the goofy upshift light on the dash that my truck has? I'm assuming that the other switch is for the backup light circuit, because both trans have it. Maybe the donor truck I got the trans from didn't have the dash light??
I checked wiring diagrams in both Chilton's and Haynes, but that was worthless....can anyone confirm that sensor function?
Thanks,
Jeff

There are only 2 sensors listed.....

In my AX-4/5 rebuild manual. Dated August of 83. The oil level sensor( wish I had that one) and the reverse light sensor. HTH!

Back