• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T case shift knob removal 97 xj

There is no "knob" on a factory shifter, the lever can only be removed by dis-assembling the gate itself.

If you mean the plastic rectangle with the shift pattern printed on it, that you can just pry loose from the main console and slip over the handle.

The opening where the bristles are is plenty big enough for the full handle/knob to pass through, but you will probably need to pull the handle up into 4Hi (or at least out of 2Hi) for the clearance to get the bezel off the end of the handle.

Mine has a thicker handle . I might have to sand it down to narrow it some more. I broke the first one trying to do just that. And attempted that this go around but it’s super tight. Was hoping there is a better way. If not I will sand it down.

My bezel just snaps out and the stock handle fits perfectly thru the bristles.

I think we need a picture. I know my '96 handle just slips through the bristles. Same for the '97 ZJ.

[I'm looking at mine right now, I need to figure out how to add a 2Lo below the 4Lo!

D5LV0xv

Not that it makes a difference, but that's not a 97-01 bezel/console!

Yes!!!

[You should since 96 is such a bastard year!

I also had one that wouldn't fit over the shift lever, on a 96. I cut one end with a hack saw blade. It will snap in just like it should.

JIM.

Back