• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Panel w/Tach for 90XJ

90red

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to replace my dummy lights with some actual guages. There is a local Jeepyard and I was wondering what years have an Instrument panel would fit my 90. Also, would I have to replace anything other than the actual panel itself? Are there any special connections or sensors that need to change with the panel? I was told that I would need to replace the Coolant Temp Sensor. I cant understand why I would need to replace that. When I bought a new one for my XJ w/dummy lights, they didnt ask which type of instrument panel I had. Also, I read somewhere that you can install a T-Stat housing off of a later model XJ that will house the CTS. How would you make the connection between the sensor that originally hooked up on the side of the block under the exhaust to reach the T-Stat housing? Thanks for all of your help guys.

NAXJA Rules!!!!

90red

you'll have to change the oil pressure and temp sending units.

you can use the clusters from late87-90 in your XJ.

take a close look at your speedo cable end, it should be plastic, if the donor has a metal end, you'll have to do one of two things:

if you have cruise control, you can take the short piece of cable that goes from the speed sensor to the cluster along with the matching cluster and drop it all in.

or, take the entire speedo cable if you don't have cruise (not too hard to swap, easier if you're a shorter/smaller person, but my big fat ass did it once :D )

although I don't reccomend it, you can also just cut reliefs down the sides of the plastic cable clip and shove it on the end of the older speedo. it works, but you will not be able to put the proper cluster in later without changing the cable (this will break the cable end)

90red said:
How would you make the connection between the sensor that originally hooked up on the side of the block under the exhaust to reach the T-Stat housing?

That sounds like the coolant temp sensor for the engine controller. The temp sensor for the light/gauge is on the cylinder head, driver's side rear corner, tiny thing with one wire. You will have to replace it (and the one for the oil pressure) if you go to gauges, since they are only on-off switches for the dummy lights.

T-Stat Housing

I didn't want to deal with the entire cluster swap and the different color schemes model years, etc. and I did not like the little temp gauge in the oem cluster anyway so I was using the late model t-stat housing on my 1989 to mount a 270 degree sweep mechanical aftermarket temp. gauge. My older XJ did not originally have a temp sensor of any kind in the T-stat housing. My aftermarket gauge sensor would not fit into the correct location at the back of the head. This was a simple fix for me but does not seem to apply to your situation at all. Your OEM cluster will work with the proper OEM sender in the same location on the head as your old one did. You should just have to replace the oil press. sender and the temp sender with new items designed for factory gauges instead of lights.

When you guys say to replace the oil and temp senders, what are you talking about. Is it the actual unit on the engine or something that is electrical and plugs into the panel?

Thanks for all of your help guys. I get more info and help from NAXJA than I could have ever imagined. I really appreciate it.

90red

Back