• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help Me Name These Sensors

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I would like to replace some sensors on my 1992 XJ 4.0 4x4 Auto trans. I need to know the proper names so I can purchase. I see two electrical connections to things on the throttle body. I suspect these are not sensors but solenoids of some sort. What are their names? I see one sensor screwed into the intake manifold. Possibly a pressure or temperature sensor. What is its name? There is a sensor on the firewall which I believe to a air pressure sensor for high altitude. What is its name?

I know the CPS and the two temperature sensors on the engine (front cylinder head, aft cylinder head). I know the oil pressure sensor. I know the engine phase sensor within the distributer.

Sensors I need names for:
Throttle body #1 ?
Throttle body #2 ?
Intake manifold sensor ?
Altitude air pressure ?
(any I missed?)

I know where these sensors are:
Crank position sensor (ok)
Engine phase sensor in distributor (ok)
Oil pressure sensor (ok)
Engine temperature sensor front of cylinder head (ok)
Engine temperature sensor rear of cylinder head (ok)

Thanks for help filling in my list.
Mike

The TPS - throttle position sensor (located on the throttle body shaft)
The ISM - idle speed motor (located on the throttle body)
The MAP - manifold air pressure (not sure on a '92)
The IAT - intake air temperature (located on the intake manifold)

That which RCP is calling the ISM is also commonly known as the IAC (Idle Air Control).

I think the "92 has its MAP sensor on the firewall. I want to say it is molded in green plastic, or has a green plug, but that may be a GM thing, so take it with a grain of salt. It should have a vacuum line running to it, as well as an electrical connector. On later years the MAP sensor was mounted directly to the side of the throttle body.

If you intend to replace sensors just as a matter of replacing old components I recommend you keep the old ones. Odds are they are better quality than what you will find today. You may end up swapping some of them back while you try to find new replacements that will actually work.

Thanks for info! Yes 1992 has MAP in a bracket on firewall just aft of the cylinder head.

I am swapping factory sensors out since these have 400K and 30 years on them. Yes Amazon parts will likely not last another 30 years as the originals. I just view them as more reliable in the short term. I'll be keeping the originals.

I'm not swapping the temperature sensors. No moving parts!

Mike

I have to ask why.

Your old factory sensors are likely better than the cheapie chicom parts you'll get from Amazon.

I was just about to ask the same thing. If it any broke, don't replace it assuming it's an improvement. If you think it's broke, test it first and then replace it with a quality part.

That said, are you actually having any issues or just trying to be proactive (and likely going to cause more problems by shotgunning it with crappy aftermarket parts)

I was just about to ask the same thing. If it any broke, don't replace it assuming it's an improvement. If you think it's broke, test it first and then replace it with a quality part.

That said, are you actually having any issues or just trying to be proactive (and likely going to cause more problems by shotgunning it with crappy aftermarket parts)

Agreed on this... been there and done that.

If you're dead set on replacing everything, make sure to KEEP those old sensors because 1. They worked when you took them off, and 2. The new ones are prone to early failure or just failing right out of the box.

If you throw out the old, you're screwed with depending on aftermarket Chinese crap parts.

Back