• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 4H 4L questions...99 XJ 5spd

94xjva

NAXJA Forum User
When you drive it in 2WD it drives and turns flawlessly. However in 4H and 4L when your trying to turn in a parking lot at a low rate of speed/big turn it jerks is that normal? When your driving straight or turning slightly its not an issue. The turning thing is only in 4H and 4L. It has a bunch of suspension work done, transfer case drop, and 30" tires dunno if that would effect it though.

Its because when your in 4H or 4L the front and rear axles are being spun at the same speed. When you turn the front tires have to turn faster making the drive train bind up.

When you drive it in 2WD it drives and turns flawlessly. However in 4H and 4L when your trying to turn in a parking lot at a low rate of speed/big turn it jerks is that normal? When your driving straight or turning slightly its not an issue. The turning thing is only in 4H and 4L. It has a bunch of suspension work done, transfer case drop, and 30" tires dunno if that would effect it though.

This is normal. With 4WD engaged (I'm guessing that the transfer case lever is in a position labelled 'Part-Time' in both high and low range), both axles will turn at the same speed. In a turn, the inner front wheel will want to rotate faster than the outer front wheel; with both axles having to move at the same speed, there is nowhere in the drivetrain for this speed difference to take place.

What you are feeling is drivetrain binding. Do it hard or long enough and things can break. It's specifically why there's a warning label (usually either in the glovebox or under the sun visors) about not doing this on hard surfaces.

You need to put it in 4L and do figure 8s until it ticks repeatedly, that's it telling you it is fully engaged.

:doh:

this has got to be a troll, are you really this retarded?

EDIT: you supposedly almost have a masters degree, how can you not understand how a damn transfer case works or read the manual?

EDIT: you supposedly almost have a masters degree, how can you not understand how a damn transfer case works or read the manual?

Would this be a bad time to mention the NP242? :D

I didn't read a manual because I was test driving the Jeep. I've never owned a 4x4 so I am not familiar with it. The closest thing to a 4x4 I've driven was an AWD Outback.

Dude, Dont double post tuff in chapter and mod tech. I deleted your Chapter thread. You really should look around more before you post.

Additionally this should be in OEM tech.

For more basic questions, you might be better off checking the manual or googling- you won't get made fun of, and asking why 4WD acts funny on dry pavement isn't really "modified tech". But, the 4WD seems to work, if that's what you were testing.

I didn't read a manual because I was test driving the Jeep. I've never owned a 4x4 so I am not familiar with it. The closest thing to a 4x4 I've driven was an AWD Outback.

You probably have a NP231 Tcase. You don't want to drive with the 4wd engaged on pavement, it puts a lot of stress on the Jeep.

You need to put it in 4L and do figure 8s until it ticks repeatedly, that's it telling you it is fully engaged.

:doh:

this has got to be a troll, are you really this retarded?

Which is it, almost masters or almost doctor? Either way I figured this out even with my low level of education!! Oh, but that was WAY before I owned a 4x4 or even had a driver's license. Yah for me!

I didn't read a manual because I was test driving the Jeep.

That's OK. We, your fellow road users, commend your commitment to safety. Why, just the other day I saw a lady driving along the Interstate reading a newspaper while driving. Clearly she was lacking this same fundamental consideration for others. What a cow.

I've never owned a 4x4 so I am not familiar with it. The closest thing to a 4x4 I've driven was an AWD Outback.

HELP IS AT HAND.

There is an E-Z-2-understand overview of how Jeep's 4WD systems work on the Internet! See http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/command_trac/ for a video covering the basics. Although a more recent video than the transfer case whose steering-binding abilities you just experienced, I can assure you that its information applies equally.

You may wish to compare and contrast this information with that available from Subaru, with whom you have some familiarity. See http://www.subaru.com/engineering/all-wheel-drive.html for examples of how their system differs from that in the Jeep. Note that you can also lift and wheel a Subaru, so that may be an option for you to explore. We'll understand if it isn't one that you're interested in pursuing, however.

Can the 4H be used if there is A LOT of snow on the ground? Such as the blizzard like conditions that the DC area was hit with this year?

Absoutely! In fact, many XJ owners did exactly that this winter, and with great success. It can also be used on surfaces such as (but not necessarily limited to) sand, mud, gravel, and rocks. It is truly a miracle of modern automotive engineering.

Last edited:
You should never engage 4WD on pavement unless your transfer case has a full time position. Even then it is only recommended when you have slippery conditions.

I love my NP242s

Back