• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sweet smelling Exhuast

Rufies97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Went Wheeling this past weekend and was playing on some easy rocks.
Got high centered and when i finelly made it down the hill, I dropped onto my exhuast hard and bent the O2 sensor that is on the cat. Didn't know this until a day ago, when a friend at the dealer ship was checkin the jeep out. he checked th codes and it was bad but said it wasn't something that had to be fixed right away especially since its like a $80 part.
Ok... on the way home from the trip i did notice a sweet smell from the exhuast it would get inside the jeep every so often?
I did get under the jeep and did not notice any hole anything that showed the exhuast had been damaged...other then the sensor.
I have noticed the smeel a few other times and now i'm more concerned that something ese is damaged or being damaged.

Thanks in advance.

Re-Tread

Last edited:
if you pulled the codes and the o2 sensor is bad and broken, why wouldnt you replace it. a broken part is a broken part no matter how much it costs.

A sweet smell might be from antifreeze. Are you sure it's coming through the exhaust? Check first for small coolant leaks, and if you don't find one, it might be time for a pressure test to see if you have a head gasket problem.

i agree, sweet smell could be antifreeze. bad o2 sensor will get poor fuel economy and over time may damage the cat. a broken o2 could ground out and give you some electrical problems.

sweet smell

I think the mechanic left a dozen glazed donuts on the cat and that's what your gettin' a wiff of!! :D

I agree

Sweet smell is most likely anti-freeze. Bad O2 sensor should be replaced right away. It affects everything to do with the engine, since it is one of the prime sensors used by the engine control computer.

Back