• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWC Moab Trip: May 2016

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
There's been some discussion on organizing a chapter trip to Moab next year. Wanting to avoid the EJS crowds, we're thinking about shooting for the month of May, 2016.

When: If you are interested in going, do you have a preference for which week? I'm thinking maybe shoot for May 1-7, 2016?

Camping/Lodging: Moab has a lot to offer when it comes to the question of where to stay. There are camp grounds in the city (Canyon Lands & Slick Rock) with tent sites, and RV/Trailer sites. I've stayed at both and thought they were decent. Another option would be getting some people together and going in on a condo for the week, and having our own place to call home for the week.

We're about eight months out, so there's plenty of time to save up some spare cash, and get your junk ready. I think this trip has a lot of potential.

Just to get the motivation brewing, here's some reading...
Moab Easter Jeep Safari 2011
Moab 30th XJ Anniversary

IMG_0822.jpg

100% in! Time for round 3 Moab, Dustin!

By the way, I have a spare Dana 30 yoke if you would like it back! Haha

This will be an AWESOME trip! Just the NWC on Amazing all day long trails, I bet we could really cover some ground

Last edited:
I'm gonna do everything I can to make this trip- count me in. The second or third week in May would make it more certain for me. The project I'm on is scheduled to end at the end of April, but contractors hardly ever finish on time. I'd probably prefer camping, cuz it would make it a easier to come and go if I wanted to go bike/camp elsewhere for a day or something, but you guys should just do what you want in terms of lodging and I'll just make do. So stoked!

I'm in! I kinda think the second or even third week would be good too, but may be getting hot then as well....

I honestly don't know what I'm doing in a week so trying to guess 8-9 months out for me is impossible, however if we can pin down a rough date I can make whatever work.

This would be so much fun! NWC in Moab?! Hell yes!

We'll I'm 50/50 at this point, by May my daughter will be just a month short of a year old so it's possible if we get some actual lodging like a hotel or rental house. But in the mean time I'm going to save and try. Might need to regear sooner than later as I've heard 33" min for Moab?

I would definitely want 33's Larry, but even stock rigs can do a lot in Moab.
I think 33's at least would allow you to do some more difficult trails.

We took a full bodied 86 (I think it was) Toyota pickup on 35's through Pritchett canyon without any body damage. Scratches on sliders but that was it.

So it can be done, just a hell of a lot more work.

Just start tucking away a little now, here and there, shouldn't be too bad. You can always sell a kidney or something too. It would be worth it

The idea behind end of April and first week of May, is to space this Big trip away from NWfest

But going forward a week wouldn't hurt anything, How does May 8th-14th sound?:wave:

Ok, yeah I didn't think about that Scott.
First week is fine with me!

Makes sense though, don't want it to be too close to NWFEST. Getting all that time off that close is a pita!

If i can get my Jeep running reliably, based on the timing, my family might tag along.

I have wanted for years to hit the NAXJA October trip, but something is ALWAYS in the way. Already know we won't make it next year. This might be a replacement....

That's a great plan!

I plan to bring the family.. But this time my wife wants to split from the Jeeping and go do things like white water rafting, and sightseeing

So I could be all by myself for on a few trails

Well I just bought a 89 Comanche that is going to need a lot more work than I thought it would. If I can get it trail ready by then I would like to go. I have gone twice in my TJ and it would be interesting to try the trails in the Comanche.

On a side note we took a stock YJ thru Pritchett Canyon with no body damage.

What is the NWFest? When and where?

Good to see this is gaining interest.

Regarding the dates of this trip. We might have a slight issue to work around. Oregon Trophy Challenge is scheduled for May, 14-15, which several of us will be at. The key for me will be making sure the Jeep survives one event in order to make the other. May is going to be an awesomely brutal month.

I would have to bail if this was moved to April, but I suppose you can't please everybody. I am actually planning on attending this though. I know this would fly in the face of time honored tradition, but would you consider Moab in late May and bumping NWF to June? Seems like folks would attend NWF pretty much whenever it was held.

This trip is my birthday gift and I'm taking the family

So I'm pretty flexible.. Nate/Torx. What dates work for you guys?

I originally thought I'd be cleared to go in mid-May, but the project I'm assigned to is scheduled to end June 14th. I would like to hang around as close to that date as possible, though the last couple of weeks will just be punchlist stuff and the contractor won't require constant input/supervision. So late May or even June would be best for me.

With all the stuff stacking up in May, maybe we should do this in June? NWF would make for a good shakedown run that way.

Either way, I want to say thanks for the willingness to be flexible and inclusive. I hope it works out- I really want to go. I'm looking forward to getting away for a couple weeks after daily commutes to Washougal for two years.

Back