NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:02
NAXJA Member

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
When I recently did mine, I had planned on replacing them anyhow since they're pretty easy.

After welding I pulled them, and honestly they looked 100% fine. That was with preheating to 400-500F.

I plan to replace them as one was done in 2017 one was done when I shattered the stock inner in 2011 and that one leaks a bit so I'm doing both this time. However I don't want to do them until my new shafts arrive since the work involved is not hard but kinda time consuming
and the seal replacement only 1 extra step by removing the carrier to access the seals ...lol... in 2011 I was still very strong and the d60 carrier felt like paper weight , but the last time in 2017... not so much . But I kinda figured with the tubes being .500 wall that the heat wouldn't get into the rubber of the seal since it's not even directly on the tube as the seal has the metal press fit onto the tube. I have yet to bother with the 300-400 degree pre heat just clean off the tubes to bare metal and maybe a propane torch to get oil burnt out of the press fit so it doesn't get in my weld I did the 14 outside in 40 degree weather no preheat just peened it after and wrap and no cracks .

Last edited by 1-tonxj; July 12th, 2019 at 11:08.
Old July 12th, 2019, 20:59
NAXJA Member

I bought the fancy hobo welding hood last time for about $140 instead of a $40 hobo hood ... well the cheap hobo hoods solar charge and the super dooper $140 one does not so with only 1 hood in my possession the battery went dead and I have plenty of coin batteries just not the one for the hobo hood , so with a 2+ hour round trip to acquire a battery my day of cleaning up the front frame rail plating that I've pit off since I roughed them on was done...lol... I also found out I left my nitrogen tank open and it has slowly leaked empty I found this out when I went to raise the struts to open up some space to get easier access to the frame rail for work .

I after having my day shot by a dead battery powered welding hood decided to do the grind and flap wheel work without a protective cover over the auto darkening shade and will now exercise my warranty that's almost up and get a brand new hobo hood...and some extra coin batteries of that type ...lol... can't believe the cheap ones solar charge and the pricey one does not have that .
Old July 13th, 2019, 16:24
NAXJA# 2091

Hey folks, I ran across an 87 Wagoneer like mine for sale today on Facebook, guy can't get a title and wants to part it out or sell it. It needs to saved!!!

Super nice looking, 87 Wagoneer, D-44 rear Ltd Ed, 4x4 with all the bells and whistles for distressed sale up north, NY area I think?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7732...eply&ref=notif

Last registered in 1992, used as a snow blow till last year . Jeep guy that bought it wants to give up over the title issue (and minor piddly stuff that needs fixing). Ready to sell it or parts.

Its a Jeep Wagoneer group on Facebook. 1987 Wagoneer Ltd

Pass the word, that rig needs to be saved, It is almost exactly like mine, except the wood trim out side.

Salvage title is not that hard to get in Texas IIRC, or use a mechanics lean or??? Or collectors title? Colorado I have no idea?

Pass the word folks, please we need to save this one!!!
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old July 14th, 2019, 12:29
NAXJA Member

I'm considering a single cardan front drive shaft with either 1410 yokes at both ends or a 1350/1410combo the reason is they provide more angle than a double and the way my mounts are set up on the axle I get more misalignment out of my struts as I can set the pinion yoke flat and this puts the strut rod end at center at ride height . This should allow proper angle for a single cardan shaft and should be stronger...and much cheaper than a double and take up less space than a double at the case. I figure even if it doesn't run perfect it's only engaged in slow speed stuff for the front.

Amywho... just looking to see what the thoughts are before I order my yoked and stub shaft to build these .I ave 1310 dc I clearenced with a dremmel they don't bind but they are 1310s and don't give me confidence with heavy right foot when needed vs the rest of drivetrain which is now all top shelf parts .
Old July 14th, 2019, 21:43
NAXJA Forum User

I'm guessing not because your on the extreme end of building, but does this not effect the efficiency of your steering, knuckles/angle?
I'm getting you plan to align caster with DS first, the rest is second thought or doesn't matter for your set up?
Eager to see how it turns out!
Old July 15th, 2019, 04:06
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
I'm guessing not because your on the extreme end of building, but does this not effect the efficiency of your steering, knuckles/angle?
I'm getting you plan to align caster with DS first, the rest is second thought or doesn't matter for your set up?
You throw off your caster with a double cardan shaft since you point your pumpkin up at the case yoke , so unless you rotate your inner C you throw off your caster you don't point your pinion up like that with a single cardan shaft. Drive shaft phase isn't a big concern up front fir me since it's never seeing speed and when on road the hubs arent locked so shaft balancei isn't an issue . I can travel my current 1310 shafts full cycle no binding , but the 1310 is kinda small joints and not a real confidence builder , however a 1350 dc joint uses the same centering ball as the 1310 and it has less misalignment capability so it may bind and that's what's going snap joints ... so a big single u joint like a 1410 should offer more travel before bind , but I may be missing something, but from a glance it looks like a single u joint shaft works better than dc joint here , and it should even add length to my drive shaft since it takes up less room at the case than a DC joint .
Old July 15th, 2019, 06:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-tonxj View Post
the reason is they provide more angle than a double
Not quite.

CV's actually provide more angle than singles.

1310's have more angle than 1350s and a little less than 1410.

I am now running 1350's up front (1410 wouldn't fit on a D300), and had to do a bit of yoke clearancing to get my shaft to not bind at full droop (which even then both sides in full droop would be very rare to happen on the trail).

I got rid of the CV for simplicity, and the weak centering ball.
Old July 15th, 2019, 11:03
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Not quite.

CV's actually provide more angle than singles.

1310's have more angle than 1350s and a little less than 1410.

I am now running 1350's up front (1410 wouldn't fit on a D300), and had to do a bit of yoke clearancing to get my shaft to not bind at full droop (which even then both sides in full droop would be very rare to happen on the trail).

I got rid of the CV for simplicity, and the weak centering ball.
I was under the impression the dc allowed more working vibration free angle as they split the angle between the two u joints , but didn't actually yield more movement before bind ... and the 1410 due to size allows the most . My case accepts 1410s easily... may have to massage the cross member a bit but they bolt onto the atlas...At the moment nothing binds as I built my 1310s out of a,WJ and XJ cardan shaft and used a 4200 dremmel while on the Jeep to open them up a bit . These 1310 probably will put up with more than most think since they don't bind which is the source of most broken shafts ,but I just want piece of mind .
Old July 15th, 2019, 11:09
NAXJA Member

Sweet my RCV shafts show shipped through FedEx...next day off they will be here and I can polish the front end. The biggest PITA up front left is trimming , weld filling and blending all the frame plate sections to look like one neat rail not 6 sections of angle Iron welded to the rail ...lol... it doesn't make it any stronger , but it's cosmetics kinda thing when looking under her skirt.
Old July 15th, 2019, 17:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Sweet my RCV shafts show shipped through FedEx...next day off they will be here and I can polish the front end. The biggest PITA up front left is trimming , weld filling and blending all the frame plate sections to look like one neat rail not 6 sections of angle Iron welded to the rail ...lol... it doesn't make it any stronger , but it's cosmetics kinda thing when looking under her skirt.
Under her skirt? More like the damn Iron Curtian
Old July 15th, 2019, 19:04
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4aride View Post

End of Watch: Jeffco: MC1, 1312 & 0369. Yucca-Man 1215...... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----
Old July 16th, 2019, 06:17
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4aride View Post

Are you fat shaming my ride ?...lol
Old July 16th, 2019, 08:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
If you're running full hydro and are really only using the rig as a crawler, doesn't matter *that* much.

I put my caster at ~+10 when I put my new Inner C's on.

My yoke is also pointed pretty far up.

Some (maybe most) rig (crawler) builders will have a joint at/near max angle upwards at full stuff. That way you get the most angle possible when drooping without bind.

Quote:
I was under the impression the dc allowed more working vibration free angle as they split the angle between the two u joints , but didn't actually yield more movement before bind ... and the 1410 due to size allows the most . My case accepts 1410s easily... may have to massage the cross member a bit but they bolt onto the atlas...At the moment nothing binds as I built my 1310s out of a,WJ and XJ cardan shaft and used a 4200 dremmel while on the Jeep to open them up a bit . These 1310 probably will put up with more than most think since they don't bind which is the source of most broken shafts ,but I just want piece of mind .
Think of it like this IIRC:

A 1310 is good for ~30. If the CV allows for each 1310 to go 20, you still get 40 overall.

The 1350 is "maxed" around 20. I clearanced mine to get about 37 or a hair more (about even with a 1410).
Old July 17th, 2019, 06:58
NAXJA Member

1350 has less available angle in a driveshaft than a 1310?
Old July 17th, 2019, 08:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
1350 has less available angle in a driveshaft than a 1310?
Yep.

1310 = ~30
1350 = ~20
1410 = ~35-37

If I were to do it all over again, I'd try to run 1410s/flanges everywhere.

More beef, more angle, and easier to put together.