• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!!! Engine idles great, dies in gear on VW

footdale

NAXJA Forum User
1998 VW Jetta GL, auto, 73k miles

I tried posting on the VW forums that I could find but no response. Hoping to tap into the knowledge base here.

Yesterday I changed the timing belt, distributor cap/rotor, plugs and wires. Check timing after assembly and everything lines up great. The car starts up great, smooth idle, normal rpm but the check engine light is on. The distributor cap wasn't aligned 100% at first so there was rough idle and gas smell. Reinstalled and fixed that problem. When I put it in gear, the engine dies.

When I turn the ignition to the "on" position (not start), I hear an unfamiliar whining noise from the throttle body. After 20 secs it stops, but starts up again when the engine is started.

Last air filter change I must not have put a vacuum line (l.d pump line?) that runs around the housing in the clips properly and a hole was burned in it from the alternator pulley. Car ran great as normal for a few weeks until the timing belt change.

Looking for some insight.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Back