• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to go camping with toddlers?

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
Where would be a good place to go tent camping with toddlers - ages 2 & 3?
I'm looking for a place with a shallow/slow moving stream nearby.

Designated camping areas are okay, but not necessary.
My preference is a slightly isolated area.

I'm in Westminster, but anyplace in Colorado is good.
I was thinking of the sand dunes - Alamosa.

Any other suggestions?

Up by Caribou 4x4 route, its just past Nederland. There is also one south on H85 (the highway Sabta Fe turns into), but I can't remember the name.

Speaking of camping, how old does my kid have to be before we can go? He'll be born July, so I was thinking next spring/summer. Is it wrong to take him wheeling/camping before he's 1yr old?

I'm not taking the kids on any head-jarring trails.
I know that they're still fragile.

I think I'm going to wait until they're around 5 or 6 before taking them on any really bumpy rides.

Warning, disturbing joke follows:

Can a baby get Shaken Baby Death Syndrome from OffRoading?

Yeah, I wasn't planning on serious trails until he was atleast 4 or 5.

I would consider the Winter Park area. FWIW, I took my two kiddos there roughly the same age. If you HAD to go to a designated CG, you have several that are right off 40 that are right on the Fraser River. I would do searches on St. Louis Creek and Vasquez Creek. Both are right in town, out of the way and have your small stream requirement met. Plenty of very mild dirt roads (passenger car friendly for the most part) to explore also.

The reason I have my XJ is because I couldn't fit 3 car seats in the back of my YJ. I've taken the kids to Moab and all over Colorado. At 2 and 3 your golden. As long as your car seat faces forward your good.

The sand dunes are great for the kids!! I take our tribe at least once a year.

For close camping, less then an hour away. We go to Golden Gate park: http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/GoldenGateCanyon/

Once you drive up there and ask they can point you in the right direction. there is an rv and yurt camping area. But we always use the sites to the east of that. one is near running water and the other is apen meadow our fav..

perfect for the kids. we have 3 boys, 20 mth old, 4.5 yr old and a 7 year old. Been up there at least once a year for 6 years now. Just a quick drive up 70 to hwy 58 to foothills rd [93] to golden gate canyon road.
Easy.. does cost money to camp there though 14$ a night.

-A

All 3 of my kids have been wheeling since they were born. We would fill in the area around their heads with a blanket or towel and they were fine. Look around the Buena Vista area. Lots of stuff to do with kids, ie hot springs, lots of creeks. Check out Chalk Creek Campground sits right on the creek and they are great people tell the Colorado Chapter for NAXJA recommended them.

jrsxj98 said:
All 3 of my kids have been wheeling since they were born. We would fill in the area around their heads with a blanket or towel and they were fine. Look around the Buena Vista area. Lots of stuff to do with kids, ie hot springs, lots of creeks. Check out Chalk Creek Campground sits right on the creek and they are great people tell the Colorado Chapter for NAXJA recommended them.

Buena Vista is a great place, ever go to Turtle Rock?

Started wheelin' with my oldest @ 4 months. I've got good pix of her at the top of Red Cone @ 8 months. She was indifferent on Holy Cross and slept through the "French Creek Mess". My wife was giggling when we dumped the XJ on it's side on Carnage with Chloe in the back seat. He, he, we took her younger sister wheelin' up Carnage for the first time about 3 weeks ago. She was about 4 months too. Most $%%^^% thing is I let Chloe pick the lines. Nothing like making a 3 year old make decisions! It was fun. If you've got a good car seat, then don't worry about it, they're better off than you!

DutchVDub said:
Buena Vista is a great place, ever go to Turtle Rock?

Ok you got me on that one. I have been going to Buena Vista/Taylor Park area since I was 4 yrs old and have never heard of Turtle Rock, maybe it has a different name. Where is it located?

jwtrapper said:
The sand dunes are great for the kids!! I take our tribe at least once a year.
do you camp in the park? off Medano Pass? I am planning a trip there over Memorial Day. I have never been. I am fully prepared for it to be a zoo however...must camp. I will be toting along my 4 and 2 year old.

We just make a day trip out of it. Never have camped there. We do Medano play in the sand and creek. Head north and go to the aligator farm, then we do Hayden Pass. Its dark about then and hit HWY 50 and come home. Long fun day. Some times Hayden pass will be snowed in still so we head up to Salida then go home.

jrsxj98 said:
Ok you got me on that one. I have been going to Buena Vista/Taylor Park area since I was 4 yrs old and have never heard of Turtle Rock, maybe it has a different name. Where is it located?

Not sure exactly where its located, pretty sure its off of CR321 (Rodeo rd). You have to go through the town itself. Its on the right hand side down the road. Its pretty much just a giant rock in the middle of nowhere that from certain angles looks like a turtle. There are a few campsites at its base and you can climb (as in with your hands and feet) to the top w/o equipment if you know the right route. There are also places where you do need equipment. Fun little spot that we go to whenever we visit the area. We also always make a trip to the little burger/ice cream joint (forgot the name, was it Kay's?) by the city park. My family owns property up towards Mt Princeton.

Hey. The Dunes is one of our favorite places to go. You can hit their webpage to see when the stream is running. We go there for the whole day and bring an umbrella and stuff. The stream is crystal clear and just gently flows through the sand. The kids play all day and love it.

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/

There's also a gater and fish farm down there that we take the kids to.

http://gatorfarm.com/

Since we've been in Colorado, the Dunes is the best place to go with toddlers in my opinion.

My first wheeling trip was over Medano Pass from the east. We camped outside the park in the national forest. Not too bad, if you don't mind pooping in the woods. If you bring a dog, make sure you cover the kids poop.:wow: We went while the spring runoff was still going, some of the water crossings I would not repeat now that I sort of know what I'm doing. Waves breaking on the hood, water in the vents, but no hydrolock amazingly. The river has a pretty strong current at that point. It spreads out a lot in the park.

Fred

Back