• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage report.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
B4 I put the ghost in her stall i went to the wash place to clean her up some. Looks like some carnage was hiding. Bent tie rod, bent rear shock mount, crushed rear brake line, leaking water pump, severed synthetic winch rope, burned/cut the edge of the plastic flairhead, numerous dents adn scratches in the front and rear housing, 4 nice dents and scrapes on the drivers door, ather various scratches and dents on right rear, twinsted rear ds, nicked my bling bling rims, lost a hood pin on lower 2, winch controler has a loose wire where it mounts to the sylanoid box (does not spool in winch on command), and my bottom 2 alcan leafs in my new springs moved. I think that is all that I have seen so far.

Apart from the power steering pump now holding fluid as well as a seive (attributable more to 237,000 miles than this weekend's fun), I came away with two bent front wheels, some new scars on the diffs and t-case skid, and three dents in my gas tank. Guess it's finally time to build a tank skid!
Oh yea - that stain in my pants from my sideways slide on Slickrock came out nicely! :scared:

What Rd said:
Oh yea - that stain in my pants from my sideways slide on Slickrock came out nicely! :scared:

lol
plenty of time to install a "check underwear light" before you come back to next years Crawl :)

just dropped off my SYE yoke at the fab shop to have it re-welded & plug welded on the sides (thanks for the advice on that to MarkWNC)
aside from the busted SYE yoke a shattered aluminum (oops!!) degree shim resulting in a lost 1" block somewhere on trail 4 and a displaced rear axle on the passenger side and tire rubbing inside the rear fender till we got it patched up on the trail,
Thanks to Jason, Woody, Johnny, Adam, Jeremy, Matt, and All others that helped me w/ my troubles after the *POP* at GuardRail.
Speaking of Guardrail, anyone that goes back any time soon, be sure and tell that heep of rock outcroppings I will be back to kick its A$$!! (next year) :)

Day 1: good-sized dent/scrape on the rt rr qtr: unknown tree root. Hatch cracks growing. TRE at pitman arm gets real sketchy.

Day 2: hatch cracks growing more, glass trying to escape. Track bar frame end joint joins the pitman TRE on the "watch list." Pinch seams & rockers get a spanking.

Day 3: tore metal harness plug guard off the reciever hitch and bent rear bumper up into qtr panel (stepping off rocks...) Hatch cracks keep growing, glass still bent on falling out.

Day 4: more hatch cracking/fretting over when & where the glass will drop out.

Day 5: (drive home) 75 miles from camp on a busy divided 4-lane (19/74 E of Bryson City) going approx 50 MPH, the LR outer axle bearing checks out... 75 miles + a few yards, the wheel and axle set off on their own. :eek: 75 miles + 80 feet (paced) Jeep comes to a stop on the grass shoulder. +0 to +400 feet, I watch wheel & axle roll down my lane, cross the grass median into the oncoming two lanes, recross the median @ 90*, and roll into a busy parking lot. Unfortunately, it hits from behind & runs over a toddler (the worlds youngest member of the D35 Hater's Club?) and shoves him into a parked minivan... Luckily for all, the boy was a manly lad, and basically shrugged it off. Minor cosmetic damage to the minivan. The kid's folks were nonplussed and seemed less than thrilled about waiting around for the cops :dunno: so they bailed.

Giant thanks to MarkWNC and family for a pronto rescue mission... Mark was just pulling into his yard (maybe 40 miles away) when he got the call... he dumped his XJ off the trailer and came right back... FWIW he was on scene before the NCHP arrived. We stuffed the axle/wheel back up into the tube, pulled 4-low and drove it onto the trailer. After backing it into his shop and tearing it apart, we hunted around his spare stuff and found a LS non-C shaft and some brake parts. I was back on the road @ 10:30 PM and had no other issues the rest of the way home.

This makes the second time I've shed a wheel at speed... not a good time, but stuff like that makes 'the little things' in life easier to deal with.

2 lights on the roof,
the driverside roof.
the pasg ft fender.
the pasg rear door.
the rear bumper.
a u-joint cap that has come loose.not gone.
I got 6 miles from home and could not pass 2000 rpm's.
it stalled in the driveway and the fuelpump has gone out

I got so many dents I dont know whats new and whats old.
broke bolt on a tow point mount (due to a severe impact with a
rather large rock) broke windsheild and may have toasted the
winch. Got to check that later.

While I forgot to mention the blown starter relay and Andy's wiring rescue using a spare toggle switch Woody happened to have on hand, all my carnage pales in comparison to losing a wheel and axle at speed! :shocked:
Glad to hear you and the toddler (send that kid an honorary NAXJA membership!) are ok. Bigtime kudos to Mark for unloading his own junk and covering 40 miles to rescue Woody before the Troopers could bother themselves to make an appearance.
Anybody have a spare D44 or 8.8 for Woody? Here's a guy who really needs to get shed of his D35!

Mashed both driver side doors in, broke both door handles, driver's side taillight, flooded passinger side headlight, T/C won't stay in 4low (was acting up before).

-Dent rear bumper
-Dent right side quarter panel
-One flat tire
-Broken taillight
-Few new dents on tank and tranfer skid plates
-Damaged tail pipe
-Fried alternator
-fried starter relay

Ill be back.

Let's see. 1st day...A tree ran out in front of me (I just wasn't paying attention) and I lost the right front marker lense and put a nice dent in a brand new fender.

2nd day was about 2/3 up slickrock and desentigrated (sp) a leaf spring center pin...walked the front end out a little, spit out 4 leaves, and separated the front driveshaft...thanks to EVERYONE who helped get it back together...other than the center pin NOTHING else was broken...it just looked bad.

3rd day...no breakage for me as I did not drive it.

4th day :( Drove home through hurricane Dennis (as I sure many of us did) and did so without the MJ. Preacher I sure hope you enjoy it :)

Have plans on paper for another XJ build...but with the way things are now it will be quite a while before it comes to completion.

Hey all,
Being new to the group and this being my first time on the trails in my rig...I really wasn't pushing the rig too hard...Can't afford to fix it if I tare it up....LOL

Did manage to bang up the rear bumper..needs to be replaced anyway...and put a few dents in the skids....nothing like you guys .

Woody, appreciate all the help and guidance...sorry you had such trouble getting home..we must have been just an hour or so in front of you that road...glad al worked out....

Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome for me and the boys....
they can't stop talking about the trip..

sounds like ya'll had fun. didn't make it cuz MDMike and I just got back. we left on the 10 and just got back. We saw some of denis but got some nice days too. managed to flop my junk on upper two, MDMike flopped his junk on slickrock cuz his lame a$$ didnt go up the middle.

he broke his rear hatch on peckerwood connector and blew out the glass. was hanging by the defroster wires. I told his he was just one step closer to cutting the rear half off!

were going to throw some pics up soon, Im sure the trail has already changed!

Back