• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who wants to share a cheap XJ for parts?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Found the following '99 XJ on Craigslist near Raleigh:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2126527710.html

Anyone interested in divvying out the vehicle and splitting the cost? I'm interested in the 242, engine computer, and some exhaust components... The rest appears to be in okay shape (aside from what appears to be a cheap black paintjob on what was a red vehicle originally).

If you're looking for a cheap XJ body (with "only" 120k on it), this might be a good way to go.

Let me know if anyone in NC would be interested in pitching in so we can work out a deal for all those involved.

Forgot to throw this in there - this might be a good opportunity for a cheap ECORS vehicle base if anyone wants to band together for a "shits and grins" racing team. The '99 is probably the most well-rounded base XJ made in my opinion (pre-precats, HP Dana 30, etc)... The only question is whether or not it has ABS (hoping not).

My thoughts as well... If it is indeed an ABS-less model, then it's got the 29-spline 8.25" in the rear.

Anyone interested in making this a group harvest? If so, toss up your location and what you're after... I'll reach out to the seller to make sure it's still available.

sec prob sounds like the key. I know it sounds weird, but moms got a 99 wj and I made her a spare key and when I did I took it home, unlocked locked the doors fine. Got in, put it in, turned on, put in gear backed up 10ft and bam.... same thing shut down and security light went nuts.... but the key I got the dealer to make didnt do that. I think theres a chip in em.

But just from my experience. Could be wrong~Paul

Thanks for the tip - not sure if it's applicable in this case, as I don't think any XJs had chipped keys (could be wrong though).

Turns out the vehicle has a salvage title because it was confiscated by the police and re-titled at some point in its past. The seller has also said that he thinks the issue is due to the wrong engine wiring harness (not sure on this either), and that once replaced next week, if it runs, he'll be raising the price to $3,000.

That would be a deal breaker for me, so if you're interested, let me know ASAP.

I have seen that posting, something about the exterior paint color change and that wiring harness throws big flags to me.

I'm interested in the front axle. Mine's shot. But 1250 is a bit steep to split two ways just for an axle. I DO need some valves however...
Good deal - any other takers? Looks like it's got the 242, which I'll be hoping to grab... I already have a HP30 awaiting a build so that's all you if this goes through.

Bear in mind this vehicle's interior is incomplete behind the front seats. Still lots of goodies... Anyone else interested? I'd say 2 more people and it'd be worth it. My roommate wouldn't be too thrilled about a parts car sitting in the driveway/garage for too long, so committed contributors would be needed if we were to do this.

Doors, glass, etc... Chime in if you'd be interested in only snagging a few parts off it, it doesn't have to be equal buy-in.

Oh yeah, and whatever isn't taken can be sold to a scrap yard with profits distributed appropriately.

Last edited:
I'm looking at axles and transmissions online right now. Next weekend I'm going to Ga to do some lift swap. I will also be swapping axles there as well. So count me out for this. I already have one that someone is going to help me install down there.

Back