• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vote!

CW

NAXJA Forum User
It's Nevember 7th people. Please go vote today. I know it's a boaring midterm election but, it usually only takes a few minutes and you get a sweet sticker when youre done. :wantyou:

First thing I took care of this morning :D

I went @ 6:25 this morning, and was #231 at my polling place. Voter turnout is anticipated to be very strong in VA because of a heated senatorial race, and one particular statewide ballot referendum this time 'round.

Late day word on the street is that the FBI has dispatched some local agents to some polling places in the county I live in, in response to reports of voter intimidation. This is gonna get really interesting.....

Jeff

No candidates worth voting for...so the issues were the only thing punched today. ;)

On a funny note, one guy running for district rep (GOP) here was involved in a DUI a while back. Up the hill from me someone spraypainted 'DRUNK DRIVER' across all of his 4'x5' signs. It brought the funny and made me giggle this morning.

you smell that? hmm, smells like democrats

Normally I wouldn't vote in a midterm election, but I rushed home from work today because I think it's high time to send a message to the current administration. That message, let it ring loud and clear, is "Aw S***! Where did I put my voter registration card two years ago?!"

Apparently my current governor is doing a much better job of representing me than I had thought, so I guess it's fortunate that I wasn't able to vote against him today.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/07/sanford.votes/index.html

I'm just happy that all the lying, smearing and trash talking will end. The ads will stop playing and the the politicing will come to an end...... Cause tomorow we will have to hear the presidential race for the next two F$%&^* years! Isn't Democracy beautiful? Why the rest of the world doesn't just fall in line is beyond me. Oh well, there isn't any other place I would rather live.

Funny, but I listen to more than a few European TV channels and am kind of a news hound. The French news channels are giving the US election a lot of coverage, as are the German and all of the international channels. I mean more than passing coverage, it's been at least a tenth of every hour spent newscasting.
They seem much more interested in our election, than we would ever be in any of theirs.
I'll not hold my breath to wait for all of the improvements that are going to happen now that the Democrates have a majority in Congress. The likely result is that, very little if nothing will get done. Everybody will spend so much time playing the spoiler, back biting and finger pointing, government will likely come to a screaching halt (which may or may not be an improvement) :banghead: .

KarlVP said:
I vote for new NAXJA membership personnell. I paid my dues long ago, and I am still not red.
I always thought Washington was a blue state?:laugh3:

Hey there is an idea, the NAXJA could either be blue or red and define your political affiliation.

8Mud said:
The likely result is that, very little if nothing will get done. Everybody will spend so much time playing the spoiler, back biting and finger pointing, government will likely come to a screaching halt (which may or may not be an improvement) :banghead: .

I hope things come to a screaching halt. Washington has way too much power. The Republicans have had a blank check for 6 years. There are no checks and balances. I'm not even being political. Dems would have done the same thing. I'm not talking crap. We have had enough of that. I just think Washington needs to be reigned in.

Dirt Surfer said:
I hope things come to a screaching halt. Washington has way too much power. The Republicans have had a blank check for 6 years. There are no checks and balances. I'm not even being political. Dems would have done the same thing. I'm not talking crap. We have had enough of that. I just think Washington needs to be reigned in.
Just a couple of thoughts, Europe is largely for the Democrates. Do you actually think it's because the Democrates are better for the US or better for them. IMO anything that is better for them is likely worse for the US. The balance of power is shifting. Personally I think a strong US is in everybodies best interest, I doubt many in Europe, the middle east and the far east think the same. They all have there own agendas.
Is the war in Iraq a bad idea, I was against the war. But now that we are in there, quitting before the job is done, is going to bite the US in the butt on many levels.
People really underestimate the enemy. They play the US political system (with the help of the news organizations) like a violin. The resistance in Iraq is following almost exactly the same steps as Uncle Ho Chi Min did during the Vietnam conflict. The resistance is using his techniques again and seem to be getting almsot exactly the same results. Divide the US body politic and weaken there resolve.
I resent being manipulated by my own governemnt, I really resent being manipulated by an Iraqi insurgency. I really, really resent the press having so much input into the nature of the conflict. There is a lot more going on here than is apparent on the surface.
Another question, nobody seems to be addressing, where are the funds coming from for the insurgents and the militias in Iraq?
Sadam had a dream about the return of Salamin (him), Iran and even Turkey have the same leanings, just different methodes. The goal is the same, empire.
If the US becomes static, do you think this will solve anything? Just sitting there on your thumb, likely isn't the answer.

We should have never started Iraq until we finished Afganistan. Bin Ladin said exactly what he was going to do in his speaking. He wanted to humiliate the U.S. the way they did the U.S.S.R. He couldn't take his fight to the U.S. so he needed the U.S. to come to him. He certainly accomplished that. Iraq is a huge stratigic error. If we stayed in Afganistan we would have him cornered and all the terrorist would be coming to his aid, and we could have fought him in one place. Instead we are stuck in a police action in Iraq. We should have learned from Viet Nam. We have our troops playing police trying to win the hearts of the civilians and "spread Democracy" while the enemy hides among them and makes us look stupid. And yes, Bin Ladin knows exactly how to divide public opinion and conquer. We need to leave Iraq and go back to Afganistan. The insurgents will follow. Then, we can stick the full measure of the mightiest fighting force on this planet straight up Bin Ladin's ass and our troops can then come home. The Middle East does not want our way of life. They do not want a Democratic society. Why do we continue to be so arrogant to think that we know what is best for them? We should kill the one responsible for 9-11 and come home.

...but back to the topic of this thread. I have a vote. Exactly equal to everyone else's vote. I cast mine today. All my ramblings at this point in time are purly academic. Tommorow I will be complaining about the Democrats. Free speech is awesome!

Back