• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Drop

deepcdiver

NAXJA Forum User
My 2001 XJ has a 3" lift and 31's. I installed a transfer case lowering kit to reduce the vibes, and it worked great. I purchased the Skyjacker kit, which includes a shifter bracket (small square plate with holes). Instructions inclosed with the kit simply stated to refer to the instructions packed with the bracket to determine mounting requirements. I was told that the plate is only required for manual transmitions, and no adjustments were needed for my automatic tranny. I am getting a bit of tranny noise every once in a while. If you look at the linkage underneath, the connecting rod from the 4X4 shifter knob to the transfer case, it now goes at a downward angle. Does anyone know if the noise I am hearing might be associated with the lowering kit, and furthermore, the lack of the bracket? Or, is there any modifications that I should make to the transfer case lingage?

Those linkages are kinda screwy. I installed the same thing on my TJ, weired noises kept comming out around that area. also when I throw the Xcase into whatever gear sometimes it slips/ doesnt go into gear the first time. I got angry and replace the whole thing with a SYE. The answer to your question: well its kinda hard to tell your tranny has nothing to do with the Xcase linkage. So I dont think that would be the cause of it. your tranny drop pucks might have something to do with it. thats my best guess

I bought the same skyjacker kit, and I cant figure out how to even install the bracket. I am considering trying it, because the links look twisted and out of wack. I am worried that putting it into 4wd will hurt it. Any advice??? Thanks.

This is the same for me. Sometimes it won't shift into 4 high or low. Sometimes its stuck in 4 high. I've tried puting the trans in P, N, and D. With brake and without. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Oh, I put on the 1 inch drop spacers, and when I did it, it made the linkage slip out of that little hole. Next time I went wheelin, no front wheel drive. Hmm, that wasn't cool. To put in the bracket take out the bolts holding up the transfer case, put a jack under the skid, and pry the case over to the pasenger side. Slip out the linkage and add the bracket. It will be a PITA though. It took me 1 hour with 2 people.

There has to be another way! Would it be possible to cut the pin out, because you dont need that hole any more, then just put the pin into the new bracket? Please let me know if you come up with another solution. Thanks.

Last edited:
Skyjacker makes a bracket for TJs that gets rid of the body mounted transfer case shifter linkage. I don't know if it would work on an XJ, but I imagine it would. The shifter linkage design really sucks, Chrysler put out a TSB about them rattling.

With a 3" lift you shouldn't need a t-case drop. If anything I would do a rear slip yoke elimator. If you have vibrations check your u-joints, or make sure the weights are still on you drive shafts. My $.02.

I know I shouldnt need to drop the transfer case, but it seemed to stop the vibrations. I plan on replacing the u-joints soon. Thanks for the info.

Isn't the vibration issue about the realative angles of the yoke and the pinon shaft?
That is to say,, the yoke and the pinon on the differental should always be parallel, up to a limited offset ?

example:
drvangle_sm.jpg

boroughed from madxj.com

I got some strain on mine at around 3.25 inches, and added a TC drop and it fixed it. I had it on for 3 days and decided to remove it, I dont think it is good on anything at all and should only be a very temporary fix until you can afford to do it right. When I did it however, I didnt mess with the linkage and I had no poblems.

Back