• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Week in DC - What to do?

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Other than the typical stuff, National mall, White House, Arlington, etc.

Have any out-of-the-way, interesting places to see, good places to eat, obscure museums, parks, monuments? Wildlife, hunting/fishing, off-road based?

We're staying near Dupont Circle, don't mind traveling a couple of hours to see something interesting.

If you like Indian food (dots not feathers ;)) check out the Bombay Club
http://www.bombayclubdc.com/

Not a cheap place but REALLY GOOD. Sunday brunch is good, currie and bottomless champagne; guarenteed heartburn!

If you want live music, generally Indie (although I've seen Echo and the Bunneymen there) check out the Black Cat.
http://www.blackcatdc.com/

Also in that genre is the 930 Club: http://www.930.com/

That's all I can think of for now... I may have some more stuff for you later on after talking to Holly. Holly lived in D.C. for a few years and both of her sisters currently reside there right now, near dupont circle in fact so I know that area fairly well ;)

Go up to Baltimore and visit Inner Harbor and the Aquarium....there's a Cheesecake Factory and I believe an ESPN Zone (if you are a sports fan)

The Vietnam Memorial is amazing at night. the Korean one is too. The Watergate Hotel is an interesting building. Go See the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Alexandria is beautiful. X2 on the FBI Museum. Crime is really bad in DC so be careful.

I am no help to you whatsoever, but I've become so used to posting that I couldn't help myself.

Sorry :wave1: Have fun!

wierd. I don't know why that quote was in there :dunno:

Last edited:
I'll be in Bawlmer all next week.

Going to see the Vietnam Memorial, Smithsonian, and various other monuments/museums.

Then, crab feast time.

anotherskait said:
what kinda thing are you looking for?
Family friendly? Me and the wife, no kids
Strip clubs? That would go over like a lead ballon
Fancy restaurants? Don't have to be, just something different, We're willing to try almost anything
Touristy? Yes and No

We plan on seeing the Monuments, etc. plus the parade at the Marine Barracks at 8th and I, going out to Patuxent NWR, still waiting to hear back on the White House tour.

If you care anything at all about aviation - the National Air and Space Museum on the Mall is the obvious stop and a no-brainer -

BUT, if you've got a little more time - get out to the Udvar-Hazy Center of the NASM out by Dulles Airport - the REALLY BIG stuff is out there (SR-71, Enola Gay, Enterprise Shuttle, Concorde, and lots of other very cool, unique, and historic air/space craft). All the stuff that they couldn't even think about cramming into the main building.

This is no side show, overflow exhibition center. It's just more of the wild blue yonder! I even think the IMAX there is better than the downtown one.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: !!!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Mike in NJ said:
If you care anything at all about aviation - the National Air and Space Museum on the Mall is the obvious stop and a no-brainer -

BUT, if you've got a little more time - get out to the Udvar-Hazy Center of the NASM out by Dulles Airport - the REALLY BIG stuff is out there (SR-71, Enola Gay, Enterprise Shuttle, Concorde, and lots of other very cool, unique, and historic air/space craft). All the stuff that they couldn't even think about cramming into the main building.

This is no side show, overflow exhibition center. It's just more of the wild blue yonder! I even think the IMAX there is better than the downtown one.

Yup on the list.

go down to crozet and go crawling! seriously though, when are you going? if its the right time of year, stop by the marine barracks at 8th and I and watch the silent drill team.....amazing stuff they do.

Mike in NJ said:

Don't forget silver hill, also part of the smith...

53guy said:
go down to crozet and go crawling! seriously though, when are you going? if its the right time of year, stop by the marine barracks at 8th and I and watch the silent drill team.....amazing stuff they do.

We'll be there next month. Planned both Friday at the barracks and sunset Tuesday at the Marine Corps Memorial.

Go to your Congressional reps office, say hello to the staffers and you can get a pass to visit the gallery in the Capitol. This is different than the tour.

The Great Falls on the Potomac. It's about 10 miles west of Georgetown and is part of the C&O Canal historic park.

St. Alban's, the National Cathedral at the top of the hill. Nice structure, interesting mix of folks entomded there. The chapels in the catacombs (basement) are also interesting.

The Korean War Memorial is my favorite. Go to the Marine Memorial (Iwo Jima) at night when it's lit up. The FDR memorial is also nice.

In south potomac park is the sculpture the awakening, kinda interesting.

x3 on the spy mueseum.

The air museum at Dulles is wonderful.

Antietam National Battlefield is about 80 miles northwest of DC.

I was less than impressed with Mount Vernon.

In Georgetown, about two streets up hill from M street on Wisconsin is a nice English Pub/resturant I always try to get to.

great falls is super nice for an afternoon walk.. when I visited my sister in dc 8 years ago dupont circle was a hang out for the messengers around lunch time. pretty cool bunch of guys. interesting to talk to and the park was full of crazys so the people watching was excellent.

Its a shame, I live just a little over an hour from DC and havent seen any of those things since I was a kid. The only reason I go into or around DC or Baltimore is for work. Theres just too many dam people there for me to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the library of congress tour

x2 with the Udvar-Hazy Center. If your at Dupont Circle around dinner time and looking for a place to eat there is an unbelievably good Indian restaurant,... and I don't like Indian food particularly, right up the street from you at the Van Ness Metro stop. Its called Indique. Very good food, upstairs and downstairs dining room, upscale and sophisticated but not as pricey as the Bombay Club. I've never had anything there that I did not like and they take reservations even if you are only 2 people which is unbelievable in this town. http://www.indique.com/Indiquemainpage.html

Back