• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny/X-Fer Case mounts

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
When I take off from a stop, or turn an uphill/downhill corner, there is a creaking coming from right below the shifter. I can also feel it in the shifter. Does anyone have experience with changing the transfer case or transmission mounts? How much would I expect to pay at a repair shop? This is a 95 XJ sport. Does the transmission or x-fer case have a grease fitting on the mount that I could try first? Thanks!!
Matt

what kind of transmission, auto or stick? I know on the AW4 auto in my 88' the mount is fixed with not greese fitting. I would say you have the oem stock part that might have seen it's day in the sun. If you going to do the trans, you might as well take a look at the engine mounts as well. Both are a easy fix with a floor jack and a 4x4 piece of wood to hold up the trans and engine.

JuiceXJ,
I have a 95 XJ Sport with the auto tranny. Do you know where the mount(S) is located on the tranny?
Thanks.
Matt

The mount is located in the center of the crossmember. 4 bolts hold it to the crossmember and 2 bolts hold it to the trans. If you get under with a light you will see it dead in the center of the crossmember. That is the transmission/transfer case mount.
You could replace it with a stock one, Daystar Poly, etc. I have one from Rusty's Offroad. Good luck. Juice

Hey
If you replace it.

Call Russ Bear over at AFM. He buys the stock ones and upgrades them for the TJ's. Makes the rubber mount stouter(s/p) by adding some metal bars to them. Supposedly helps out for right around $35.00 bucks. He should make them for the XJ also. I had looked into it awhile back before I replaced the chain in my T-case. I thought it was the mount. So I was looking for the upgrade.
Also you could change that mount in about 45 minutes with common tools. Nothing special needed besides a jackstand to hold the motor and some good ole fashion arm strength.

http://www.afm4x4.com

Juice has got it...it's a piece of cake to replace them. A floor jack, a piece of wood, and 10 minutes and you're done. I've done mine just by using the wood on top of the floor jack to keep from causing metal to metal damage as I support the weight of the tranny and tcase. Once the weight is supported you just remove the bolts and free up the cross member and unbolt the mount from the tcase and tranny...it really is a piece of cake.

Matt

If it doesnt stop raining there you can get a snorkel and some arm floaties to help you when you do it. :D

But yeah, its a really easy job to do, I just did mine last month. 15 minutes and it was all better, no squeaks or thumps from underneath.

Mike

Thanks again. Is this a dealer-only part, or can I get it at a parts store? Also, about how much are they? Thanks!
Matt

It's not a dealer only part, but the price can vary from store to store. I ended up getting mine for about $22 at an independant parts place here in Richmond. If you're close enough and want to get it from the same place, let me know and I can get you some info.
Jeff

Back