• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE kits for 242

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
I seem to remember someone making a shaft replacement SYE kit for the 242. The only ones I've seen are the RE hack and tap and the Tom Woods kit which uses a cut down stock shaft (same idea behind the RE one). Does anyone make a kit with a new output shaft?

--Matt

I have to say those are the only 2 that came to my mind when it first read the thread, I do not know if anyone makes a different one. Someone out there might though. Daniel

NIT, I think, from California has a kit with a new shaft. They have adds in the back of all the 4WD mags. NIT was alot higher than Tom Woods. I got the TW SYE last fall and put it in and it has been flawless since. Went in like a dream and their driveshafts are very good. You can also get a 10% discount at TW if you're a NAXJA member.

I think you are talking MIT. And I am not aware of any 242 SYE's that use a heavy duty shaft (because there is no heavy duty shaft available that fits the 242).

I run the MIT kit on my 242, but that was only because Tom Wood didn't have any Currie kits available and I was on a short timeframe. It has run perfectly for 60K less than gentle miles. Especiallly the part that it has never leaked.

I know a lot of folks rush to get rid of the 242, but with a Detroit in the rear and True Trac up front, the thing is unstoppable in bad weather and has simply excellent manners for a rig with 8" of lift and 35" tires.

Nay

Nay said:
I know a lot of folks rush to get rid of the 242, but with a Detroit in the rear and True Trac up front, the thing is unstoppable in bad weather and has simply excellent manners for a rig with 8" of lift and 35" tires.

Nay

I couldn't agree more. I actually put a 242 in place of my 231 after my wife lost it on a turn on a snowy road. The Full Time is great for slippery roads, much better traction than 2wd but no pushing in turns like Part Time. Did you ever change lanes on a lightly snowy/slick highway in Part Time, scary! It's also great in the rain. For crappy rainy, slick conditions I pop it in Full Time with the diffs open (I have a rear ARB, it's a daily driver) and it handles great with out spinning a tire. Off road, put it in Part Time, lock the ARB and go just about anywjere. I've only got 31" tires so I feel pretty safe with the stock 242 output shaft.

242 TC

I have a 242 (SelecTrac) in my 2000XJ and since were on this subject (sorta related).....I was looking at thE Aussie Locker for my vehicle (possibly front AND rear) they said not to use this in the front axle on vehicles with FULL TIME 4-WD.
Would having the 242 selector in FULL TIME 4WD position constitute a similarity to the problem mentioned above? Or are the viscous couplings different from,... let's say a QuadraTrac?
The price of these lockers is phenomenal; around $200 :eek:
Does anyone have any experience with the Aussie Locker on a 242 equipted vehicle? Any funny noises? Does it disengage well in turns?
Sorry if it appears that I hijacked this thread :eek: ,....It seemed to relate to some of the posts I was reading.

BLUTO :)

Re: 242 TC

BLUTO said:
I have a 242 (SelecTrac) in my 2000XJ and since were on this subject (sorta related).....I was looking at thE Aussie Locker for my vehicle (possibly front AND rear) they said not to use this in the front axle on vehicles with FULL TIME 4-WD.
Would having the 242 selector in FULL TIME 4WD position constitute a similarity to the problem mentioned above? Or are the viscous couplings different from,... let's say a QuadraTrac?
The price of these lockers is phenomenal; around $200 :eek:
Does anyone have any experience with the Aussie Locker on a 242 equipted vehicle? Any funny noises? Does it disengage well in turns?
Sorry if it appears that I hijacked this thread :eek: ,....It seemed to relate to some of the posts I was reading.

Full-time is full-time. The current Quadra-Trac is a gerotor drive, but the original Quadra-Trac was a viscous coupling. However, your 242 does not have a viscous coupling, it has a mechanical differential.

The problem with running a locker in full-time is that the front wheels are usually pulling, which means the locker can't unlock for turns. With a viscous coupling or a mechanical diff it won't break anything, it'll just handle very unpredictably in slippery conditions.

stoneattic said:
I couldn't agree more. I actually put a 242 in place of my 231 after my wife lost it on a turn on a snowy road. The Full Time is great for slippery roads, much better traction than 2wd but no pushing in turns like Part Time. Did you ever change lanes on a lightly snowy/slick highway in Part Time, scary! It's also great in the rain. For crappy rainy, slick conditions I pop it in Full Time with the diffs open (I have a rear ARB, it's a daily driver) and it handles great with out spinning a tire. Off road, put it in Part Time, lock the ARB and go just about anywjere. I've only got 31" tires so I feel pretty safe with the stock 242 output shaft.
Ditto that and I'm on 35's in my 97.
My 87 also has a 242 and has been on 33's for 10+ years with many Moab trips under it's belt.

Aussie locker

Try this site: www.offroadlockers.com

The Michigan Jeepers group just completed a group buy. The price seemed about the same as you can get them now ($219)?
They should NOT be used on the the front axle of a 242 (SelecTrac) TC vehicle. The website tells you not to use them in FULL TIME 4WD vehicles, so I guess that qualifies :( .
I'm looking forward to installing one in my D35 rear axle.
When I get some feedback from the Michigan group, I'll forward it here.

It would be nice if someone made a HD SYE for the 242 but I am not aware of any at this time. I once said that the 242 would do just as well as a 231 in the strength category. I sort of proved that in Moab last year when I twisted my 242's main shaft on Double Whammy (after I made it up the lower ledge thank you very much- added for "OneTon"). The shaft failed at the splines for the speedo gear where it is the same size as the 231 shaft.

Maybe if enough of us approached Mark Hinkley or Tom Woods they could persuade their suppliers to get us one on the market (or just produce one themselves).

Bones
NAXJA #6
broke1-vi.jpg

Back