• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to eat an elephant/non xj specific

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
One bite at a time

A few months ago I picked up a 1970 Chevrolet suburban. 3 door with rear barn doors as a hot rod/ utility/ long term toy. I had looked at a few other 67-72 c10 pickups but as soon as I saw this big booty girl i couldn't stop staring:eyes: and thinking of cool paint schemes

Having a one car garage a self placed spray job could never happen with the lack of space i have to work with. With as big of a body and as picky as I am I could never justify dumping 5grand into a paint job.

I decided on a rustoleum roll on paint job, I'm in no hurry to get it done and it's a great way for me to unwind this winter. I read quite a bit on roll on jobs in the past and tried my own with a Toyota 4runner using tractor paint. It came out patchy and rushed with no prep or patience.

I decided to thin down my paint with mineral spirits and rolling with nicer pads. I also decided to actually prep the body, the goal here is to get a 10ft paint job that you couldn't tell was rolled on. I will post updates and pics for those interested. I figured others may benefit from a cheap diy paint job on their rigs that actually look decent. I must remind everyone reading this that body work takes time, patience, and plenty of practice. I wouldn't consider it an easy thing to accomplish, but it's an amazingly rewarding hen done right.

burban.jpg

fb5cde51.jpg

d1389bd7.jpg

47b5d3fe.jpg

c9b4eec1.jpg

3423bfd9.jpg

08461f1f.jpg

25aec025.jpg

ff8835bb.jpg

Looks like it could be a hearst.

Wash the the car very well
Scotchbrite pad scrub down with powder tide on the surface to try to remove any oils from the paint before sanding
Wetsand with a 320 grit
Fill any high/low spots with filler
600 grit wet sand
Wipe down with alcohol ton remove any impurities before laying paint
2 light coats of paint with 12 hrs in between to cure
320/600 wet sand
Wipe with alcohol/ 2 light coats with again 12 hrs to cure in between
Repeat 2 more times lol, all around 8 coats then let the paint cure for a week.
1500 wet sand, 2000 grit wet sand then polish with buffer

I have my last set of coats to go and the week curing/polishing to go for the front of this truck. Total price is 200 using lots of nice stuff to make it easy/ I would love to convince people it wasn't rolled. Anyways will keep updated.

O, girlfriends that get u gifts for your hotrods are awesome. (windshield from the gf installed today)

Last edited:
Looks like a coyotemobile. :roflmao:

Looks like a coyotemobile. :roflmao:

Hey man, thats uncalled for. I posted this to help others looking for a cheap paint job, both of my parents are from Mexico and thats not acceptable .

Back to the project, buffing this weekend!:lecture:

Early suburban's are tits man, well all suburban's until the early 90's body change and IFS really

nice ride

Hmmmmmm......... just looked over the "before" pics again......

Missing marker light on the passenger rear...... and some wobbly looking tail/backup lights. Full of bondo there?

Im confused, what's the meaning of "coyotemobile"??

Never heard that one before.

Btw, that sounds like a lot of work for a 200$ paintjob. I think I would just spend the extra 50$ and take it to MAACO, probably wouldn't look as good and it definately wouldn't last as long but your arms would thank you for not having to do all that sanding.

Hope it turns out great, I've seen some pretty sweet looking roller paint jobs

Last edited:
man, I'm not into the bowties, but I would definitely cruise that one. cool ride.

Im confused, what's the meaning of "coyotemobile"??

Never heard that one before.

Btw, that sounds like a lot of work for a 200$ paintjob. I think I would just spend the extra 50$ and take it to MAACO, probably wouldn't look as good and it definately wouldn't last as long but your arms would thank you for not having to do all that sanding.

Hope it turns out great, I've seen some pretty sweet looking roller paint jobs

Lets keep that "coyotemobile" shit outta this thread, google the term if you really don't know.It is offensive, has no place in here.Hasta

If you know how to wet-sand it's actually not much more than a paint job with a gun/compressor. Also, MAACO is fine for someone that doesn't mind it. However I would, lol. I can spot orange peel, bondo/ overspray ect.. too pickey here, champaigne taste with the wallet to get it done right / but i'd rather buy the beer ;)

Oh I definately applausd your effort and as I said your apint job will most likely look and last better than MAACO's most expensive offering. I'm just lazy when it comes to body work, hence why my evergoing project is an ugly overbuilt and not a custom hot rod.

Last edited:
Back