• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First aid kits

hollywood32

NAXJA Forum User
As has been discussed before most first aid kits are lacking for severe traumas that we might experience out on the Trail.

I've been looking for more of a Trauma Kit and wanted to get some of your opinions.

I've found a couple of examples online.

http://www.afmo.com/Tactical_Trauma_Kit_3_FA138_p/210-00061.htm

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=froogle&cm_pla=1510103&cm_ite=0053143518345a

Anybody using something like these? Have some better recommendations?

I've also started to study for my Ham license.

I used to be an EMT. Those are decent kits, however they are much more expensive than peicing together a kit of your own. Also, they contain some equipment that unless you have training using are completely useless. I'll inventory my trauma kit later today and try to get some pics up of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Maybe create a list of what people should have in their kits as well

that would be good since i have yet to put one together cause i dont know what i should grab lol

10-4, will do. On a legal note: This list is being provided as a documentation of what my personal trauma kit contains. In no way is this list all-encompassing and is being posted for your review only. I will try to find a decent list published by an EMS authority to post up here, but will not create a "you should carry this" list of my own. In no way should this list be considered medical advice. Have to keep my butt covered by good samaritan laws.

Duct tape, superglue, jb weld, tie wire, zip ties?? Fixes jeep and severed limbs......

I agree that those look nice and that there are stuff in them that if u dont know how to use them are worthless etc.

That said an idea i had was for those who are trained and wished to carry a AED with them for big event runs or something might save someone having a heart attack. I dont imagine too many people carry them out on the trail and such and EMT help to your rig on a trail I imagine would take forever. I guess battery cables might work too though :p...

For a first aid kit i would keep it simple to the basics and add things u think might come in handy and that u know u could use.. like have some clean towels and such to apply direct pressure to a wound and such :). Of course if u were trained u would have more specialized stuff u might want to add :peace:

"Jesus never had to wear church shoes, he wore sandals.. Maybe if he had better arch support they wouldn't have caught him"

He knew they would catch him so he did not need arch support :).

not sure if the battery cables have enough kick though, but smart thinking

Okay, so I havn't made a list of what I carry yet, but I found a link to a site I've ordered from in the past. Don't buy the whole kit. Order the refill kit ($44.95) or search for something similar. Just add in a pair of good scissors (trauma shears) of your own and any other equipment that you KNOW HOW TO USE (c-collars, emergency airways, etc.) at your discretion. If what's in this kit isn't enough you're pretty much S.O.L. anyways :(

http://www.practicaltrauma.com/trauma.shtml

Duct tape, superglue, jb weld, tie wire, zip ties?? Fixes jeep and severed limbs......

And a couple lengths of re-bar....

No lie, I was out in the desert and a girl on a quad broke her ankle. Her father put a piece of re-bar (tent stakes) on either side of her ankle and duck taped the whole thing together to stabilize her for the ride to the hospital.

When I shattered my ankle, I used an old cardboard windshield shade and electrical tape. The guys in the ER were impressed.....

My point being that my earlier post rings true... A little knowledge can go a long way.

If anyone nees one made, I still have a ton of gear left over and a few small bags for kits. Let me know.
Price range? PM me if you'd like...

a little knowledge can be dangerous - can also save lives. a basic first aid kit, common sense, & a cell phone are always required on the trail. i've been wanting to learn more about more advanced first aid, & think we need to get some peeps who know what they talkin about to teach us. for what we do, we need instructors not only in first aid, but also survival, basic mechanics, & COMMON SENSE. forgot basic map reading/use of gps

Last edited:
Back