• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Traitorous trailer build

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
So after borrowing this trailer to go out to Moab, do 4 trail runs, plus 2 different trips to pick up vehicles all in the last month my buddy decided to just sell the thing to me. He only used it for his Razor and its up for sale anyways so the trailer is now officially mine. Cool thing is, he is willing to let me store it on his property just outside of Longmont.

Anyways, this will be a slow build up of the trailer. The bearings, brakes, and tires are all in good shape and recently serviced. The wiring is all good but I would like to clean it up a bit. The deck is fairly rough and the fenders are trashed. Since its just a little on the narrow side for my rig I'm planning on extending the deck out to match the fenders in width, I also want to make a frame of square tube for the fenders and then just sheet them in. That way the fenders will take me driving over them without issue. I'm also going to swap out some of the boards on the deck and I'm thinking of adding a truck box to the front to keep straps and tools in. That will help free up space inside the Jeep so I can put a back seat in it for the kid.

The trailer:
1.jpg

So slight update, but not worth any pictures. I had 2 tires blow out on me (well the trailer) saturday as I was heading to El Paso with an Early Bronco loaded up for my father in law. Some retard in front of me had a 12ft ladder just sitting in the bed of his Dakota. It fell out and caught two of the tires on the trailer. Then the XXXXing arse just drove right past me (after he stopped to get his ladder of course) as I was on the side of the road changing out tires. I wound up having to get a set of 4 tires for the thing, all D-Rated trailer specific tires. Upon closer inspection I noticed the tires on the trailer were only C-rated, hence the full set.

So if you're in the Springs area and see a black Dodge Dakota the same body style as my Durango with a couple of ladders hanging out the back do me a favor and punch him in the face for me, then rob him of his money. You can keep anything over the 200$ he owes me for the two tires his ladder destroyed.

replaced the wiring connection on my trailer. It was too short for where my truck's connector is and it was a bit hack too. I used some cable I got from Home Depot, it had 4 16ga wires in it and then I ran a seperate wire for the ground. I was hoping to use a 5 wire cable but they didn't have one with small enough wire ran through it.

What I removed:
2.jpg

What I ended up with:
3.jpg

Back