• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Injectors Denso "Pintle" or Bosch "Disc" for XJ '89 I-6?

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone,

I was driving a few days ago and began to smell a strong gasoline odor. I got home in a few minutes and popped the hood. Found one of my fuel injectors was leaking at the body and not at the top where the O-ring is.

So after 190,000 miles I think it's time to replace all of the injectors in my '89 XJ.

I searched this forum and it seems everyone likes Five Motor Sports for purchase of fuel injectors.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp

So my questions:

There are two 19lb injectors listed. The Denso Pintle type and the Bosch Disc type. Which one do you guys recommend?

When I install do I soak the O-ring in gasoline for a while or do I use "assembly" grease. Is there a brand name assembly grease I should get?

Thanks for your help!

John V.

I thought most injectors were "pintle" type - the only "disc" injectors I could think of offhand are the Lucas type...

It is prefereable to soak the orings in a cupful of fuel (that's what all my manuals have said...) but assembly lube could be used in a pinch. Since you have to bleed down the fuel system anyhow, just catch what comes out in a cup and use that.

Either way, the body style of the injector looks correct, so use whichever you want. If you get the disc type and get any tech docs with them, I'd like to see them (if you can arrange it...)

5-90

Thanks 5-90,

From my research so far it seems everyone recommends the fuel injectors with the yellow top. So Bosch has the color, while Denso has a gray top.

I decided to take the chance and ordered the Bosch fuel injectors. It's about $35.00 cheaper to order through FiveMotorSport eBay store than directly through http://www.Fiveomotorsport.com Not sure why!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7922252253

If there are tech docs I'll send to you info for sure.

>the only "disc" injectors I could think of offhand are the Lucas type...

Lucas? Every time I see that name I think of the '71 Spitfire I had. More electrical problems then Iraq. I still have nightmares from it.

Best,

John V.

Johnny V said:
When I install do I soak the O-ring in gasoline for a while or do I use "assembly" grease. Is there a brand name assembly grease I should get?

John V.

Don't laugh but...I used KY Gel on the O-rings. Worked great. I believe KY is water-based and so I felt it was worth a chance in using it without affecting the o-rings. But don't take my word on that.

XJade said:
Don't laugh but...I used KY Gel on the O-rings. Worked great. I believe KY is water-based and so I felt it was worth a chance in using it without affecting the o-rings. But don't take my word on that.

I've used KY for years as an assembly lube on parts that might be affected by petroleum. For injector O-rings vaseline works too, since they're obviously petroleum-proof.

So did you hear the one about the newlywed who didn't know the difference between putty and vaseline?

all her windows fell out.

5-90 said:
the body style of the injector looks correct, so use whichever you want. If you get the disc type and get any tech docs with them, I'd like to see them (if you can arrange it...)
5-90

To 5-90 and all,

Got the Bosch fuel injectors a few days ago and installed them. Sorry no specs to give you 5-90 as they didn't come with any paperwork - just packaged individually in plastic zip-loc bags.

I started the engine for a few minutes and it sounds very smooth and seems like it has a much more quick response on the pedal. I'll be taking the XJ on the road in a few days as I'm replacing all the cooling/heating hoses at this time.

Installation went very smoothly thanks to the help of all the people on this forum. I installed all the injectors on the rail first but it was a little tight with the accelerator cable arm in the way, but a few turns and shifts the injectors slide right into the engine.

I did have a moment of confusion as the injectors come with a brown/tan cap on the nozzle end and it looked like a shipping protector.

http://home.comcast.net/~johnnyv/injector_cap.jpg

I tried to take one off but it did not budge. With the help of PaulJ he convinced me those were not shipping caps! Here's the thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=307599

Thanks again to all that help!

John V.

Matthew Currie said:
I've used KY for years as an assembly lube on parts that might be affected by petroleum. For injector O-rings vaseline works too, since they're obviously petroleum-proof.

So did you hear the one about the newlywed who didn't know the difference between putty and vaseline?
all her windows fell out.

LOL. Where would this world be without...the gospel according to Matthew?

Glad to hear things went well for you Johnny V.

Here's a suggestion: go to an office supply store & buy a THICK 3-ring binder ( I like the ones you can zip up for protection and sheet retention) and a bunch of clear sheet protectors. As you read through NAXJA's forums just 1) take any info you deem useful for future reference and cut-n-paste into Word documents 2) print 3) save it in the sheet protector and place into the binder. I also save magazine articles and instruction manuals in my binder.

God knows how many times I've read through the Word document I have on the throttle position sensor!! :bawl:

XJade,

Thanks for the advice on starting a Jeep notebook.

I do it a little differently. I save all my files in a folder call "Jeep Projects". Some info is copy and pasted, others are dragged and dropped into the folder.

Also, I'm on a Mac, I use a program called Page Sucker to download webpages/sites and save in my folder for future reference.

I have more projects to complete than I have time or money.

Back