• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8L Emissions Tear Out

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 85 Cherokee with the 2.8L. I want to take all the emissions crap off of it. Mainly because I am going to put the Hedmann headers on it and they dont have the inlets for the Air injection system. I want to take off the AIR pump and the inlet system. The only thing that I really need to keep is the vacumme for the 4x4 shift motor, and the power brakes.
Has any one done anything like this?
I am not worried about the Inspection from the state!
Please Help

OK has anyone done it to a 4.0?

I took all of the emissions stuff off of my 2.8l when i built it up. If I remember correctly, all you need to do is just remove the air pump and plug the lines, untill you get your new headers. My edelbrock headers had provisions for the air pump, but I plugged the holes. Also, I discovered that when I took the air pump off a power steering belt fit perfect going to my alternator. I know this works without ac, but my ac compressor was gone when I go the jeep so im not sure about the belts with AC. If you are running the factory carb, I believe you need to keep most of your vaccuum stuff in order for it to work correctly, but im not sure, I swapped to a holley 390 4 barrel and ditched everything but the brakes and heating system. Good luck.

85cherokeechief said:
I took all of the emissions stuff off of my 2.8l when i built it up. If I remember correctly, all you need to do is just remove the air pump and plug the lines, untill you get your new headers. My edelbrock headers had provisions for the air pump, but I plugged the holes. Also, I discovered that when I took the air pump off a power steering belt fit perfect going to my alternator. I know this works without ac, but my ac compressor was gone when I go the jeep so im not sure about the belts with AC. If you are running the factory carb, I believe you need to keep most of your vaccuum stuff in order for it to work correctly, but im not sure, I swapped to a holley 390 4 barrel and ditched everything but the brakes and heating system. Good luck.
Would you have any pictures of under the hood that I could see?
I dont know if I can afford to do it all at once (I want to) but if I have to do it piece by piece I need more info.

One question: Do you have the stock carb or another?

With stock:
The air pump is easy: just take the pulley off. Then take a measuring tape and measure how "long" of a belt you need.

Simplify your vacuum lines to just the vacuum advance on the distributor and the one needed for the disconnect.

The brake line uses the vacuum created by the intake manifold and is completely separate from the emmisions. That the big one on the rear of the manifold.

With the vacuum actuated disco, it uses a constant vacuum from a port in the rear. I suggest getting one of those JKS manual discos as it works great. You know when you are in 4WD.

If you have a non-stock carb, I'd need to know which one to help you better.

I dont have any pictures right now, but I can take some this afternoon. As far as belts go, if you remove the air pump, a power steering belt should fit perfect for the alternator. I have an alternator with a double pulley, so I am running 3 power steering belts on mine, so I only need one spare.

HOLLEY #8007 390 CFM 4-BBL. That is the carb that I am going to get. I think im going to wait untill I have all the nessary parts to take out all the emissions BS.
Does anyone know what the CFM is on a stock 2.8L carb?

I have heard great things about the weber carb for the 2.8L, but it is about 2 times as expensive as the holley, but you will need a new intake manifold for the holley. I think edelbrock is the only company that makes an intake manifold for the 4 barrel. Also, you might have some hood clearance issues with the holley. Mine fits under the stock hood, but it is close, so I spaced the hood up 1/2 inche in the back to give it more room.

yea the clearance is a issue! especially since I want to go with a dual snorkel when its all done so Im not really worried 2 much about performance. Just want somethign that I have done and that is easy to take care of.

I would go with the Weber if I were you...I have the 38DGES on my 2.5 (highly modified) and it works well even at some pretty wild angles. You can get a pretty good deal on one from Quadratec...theirs are sold under the EMPI name...same product.

Yea you are not going to have any reason for the air pump when you get those headers bolted up.
Ill check out the weber muddawg

I'm curious where you found your Hedman Hedders for your XJ. I've searched and found none.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Oh, BTW, Has anyone done the 2.8 to 3.4 conversion? If you are planning on doing one, PM me. It's fairly easy but their are some nuances.

I found them on a blazer forum. I think it was www.blazerforum.com And I also have found tons of info at www.60degreev6.com The headers are meant to be on a 2.8 4x4 blazer, I dont really know how good they are but Anything is better than the emissions clad crap that it pushes through now.

Back