• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Low Beams on 89

Maigus

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,

I bought a 89 XJ a couple weeks back for my first jeep. The fog lights didn't work, but I found the fuse easy enough under the dash and swapped it out. Fog lights started to work but then my low beams stopped working.

I swapped the headlight switch with my friends and my switch worked fine in his, and his didn't get me anything out of mine. My high beams and all other lights work fine. Also I confirmed that no power is running to the lights when they are on low beams.

I have seen talk that high beams and low beams are on different fuses, but have not found anything pointing to where these fuses are. The only info my manual gives me is for the layout of the fuse box. So is there anything under the hood I am missing that would interrupt the flow of power to the low beams? Fuses, relays, fuseable links?

Thanks a bunch for all your help in advance, I am sure all the other drivers on the road will be happy when I stop using my highbeams at night.

check fusible link at starter relay by battery. If power locks dont work either , then that's the problem.

2guijhh.png

The power is from a fusible link, through an auto reset circuit breaker built into the headlight switch (for both the high and low beams) through the beam selector switch to the headlights. The harness runs down the left front fender then across the front.
Likely trouble spots are the high beam selector switch and the harness.
The connectors in the headlight harness are known for overheating and cooking.

Thanks a bunch, that was just the sort of detail I was looking for to help me trace it down. I appreciate it greatly, I'll let you know how it works out.

Back