• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low beams on, flip to High beams, lose both and cluster lights

fallacist

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty, I have a 01 sport with an ARB headlight harness. I've had it for about 3 years no issues. Pull the knob and the lights and low beams come on. Flip the "multifunction" switch on the column to turn high beams on, and I lose highs and lows and cluster lights.

I've had an issue with that crappy putco harness before, and losing highs or lows brings me back to the relay problems I had with that. But losing the cluster lights in addition confounds me.

I wanted to post this up to get the ball rolling and see if anyone has some ideas or leads. Power and ground lines are solid. For the last year, the multifunction switch occasionally makes a buzzing sound when turnings on turns signals. I'm going to go rotate relays, checks fuses, see if there is anything obvious going on and basically stare under the hood for about 30 minutes. I'm thinking if rotating relays doesn't change anything (lights come on as intended, everything turns off when switching to highs) then it's the multifunction switch knocking something out of whack when I flip to high beams.

Ideas?

I've had an issue with that crappy putco harness before, and losing highs or lows brings me back to the relay problems I had with that. But losing the cluster lights in addition confounds me.

Try replacing the high beam indication lamp within instrument cluster. Also I'd remove the aftermarket HL harness. See if going back to stock will resolve it. And check contact points on your headlamp switch and instrument cluster are clean.

If you lost the cluster lights, you also lost your parking lights all around.

Hazard lights stay on.

Talked to ARB today, they're sending me a replacement "control" relay. Swapped the other two relays that are the same, same results.

Back