• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

double shackles?

llvllaximus

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i used to have a toyota, and i ran double shackles on it in the rear. I loved the extra articulation, and droop i got in the rear, and they did not unload under hard braking. Safe on a cherokee? Anyone ever done it? With pics? Any draw backs? Thanx

it causes some pretty bad unloading and if you're not careful it'll cause binding with your driveshaft.

Are you talking about a revolver style shackle? If you do a search, you will find that most people (Cherokee and otherwise) don't like some of the weird stuff that happens (like unloading on a down hill or in an off-camber situation). If you still do decide to get them, you should be able to find some used ones in the classified section from somebody who ran them and decided they didn't like them.

Chris

Ok, not revolving shackles. Basically 2 sets of shackles together. Whats the difference on a toyota and a cherokee. Why will it work on a toyota and not on a cherokee? I will not run revolvers.

llvllaximus said:
Ok, not revolving shackles. Basically 2 sets of shackles together. Whats the difference on a toyota and a cherokee. Why will it work on a toyota and not on a cherokee? I will not run revolvers.
Do a search under my name,many threads on this.Heres my scissor shackles!
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

4" I think..eye-eye

uncc civilengineer said:
Thanks... should work very nicely!

depending on if I use ford 3/4 ton leaves or not, I may just box the bottum of my spring hanger box and run stockers...If I do run 3/4 ton, I'll make some tabs inside my bumper

uncc civilengineer said:
In the process of doing this right now... Just need to pick up some stock shackles this weekend and finish it up..

off the top of anyones head.. what's the length of stock XJ shackles?

Also, XJ-Ranger... thanks for posting up Dimensions.. it saved some nice time...

Chris
I just did that a few days ago, kept my lift shackles. It's still sitting on jackstands and it'll be a while before I get to try it out.

Stock shackles are only 3" long!

Are they? my bad.

I'll just measure a few more times... should be an easy adjustment w/ tab length... I would like about 1/2" more lift in the rear... I currently have RE boomerange shackles and I want to say they're 6" long...

So just an estimate:

Relocation of the shackle down approx. 3.5" w/ stock shackles (assuming 3" length) where I am currently running 6" RE boomerang's would equal 1/2" more lift... I think that's right.. it's been a busy day a work maybe my math's screwed up..

You don't want to just bring it down, you gotta move it forward to get a better angle which will net some loss in lift.

Ramsey said:
You don't want to just bring it down, you gotta move it forward to get a better angle which will net some loss in lift.

Yeah but purely vertical motion I want to bring it down approx. 2.5 - 3".. I dont really see moving it forward around 2" causing much loss of lift... Am I wrong?

Basically... IF I move the shackle down 3", Forward 2" then c^2 = 3.6"... SO in reality to get back to my original height I need the shackle to be 3.6" in length... right? assuming my RE shackles are 6" eye-eye....... looks like in reality I'd lose approx 0.75" of lift w/ a 3" eye-eye stock shackle... Anyone can verify the stock length is 3"? IDK I think it'll be close and work itself out.. I'm probably looking at it all wrong anyway...

Last edited:
Moving it forward will cause it to sit at more of an angle brining the spring up closer to the vehicle, giving you less lift. How much less I have no idea.

Back