• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound Bar

BobCSmith

NAXJA Forum User
I've read through my searchs that if you install a sound bar you should also install the support bracket (which you need from the donor XJ).
To install this support bracket , do you have to remove the headliner?
If the support bracket is not installed, how loose is the sound bar?
Thanks

I did a sound bar on my 87 and didn't see any type of support bracket on the donor XJ. The sound bar is held in position by the headliner trim on the sides and also held by the dome light.

Hope that helps.

Anyone have any idea where I can get a sound bar really cheap - or donate? I just want one to tear to bits for improvements...

I just don't have any samples around here.

5-90

(Yeah, I know. I keep asking for stuff I plan on tearing to bits, but it's a bad habit. At least all the salvage yards in the area that I deal with give me decent discounts because of it...)

I stuck a sound bar into my '93 without picking up the bracket. It hangs down about 1/2-1" in the middle and rattles every time I go over a bump. Suffice to say I went back to get the bracket! It does involve removing the headliner, or at least lowering it sufficiently to screw in the bracket - yet another of those "I must get around to doing..." jobs...

I dont know what bracket you need but for me when I put one in my 90, all I did was pick up the extended dome light supports that go through the bar as well and screwed those into where my old ones were. Best $10 dollars I ever spent. Still cant believe the junkyard only charged me 10 bucks for the whole thing!

Were you able yo put the dome light support in without removing the headliner?
Did you get the support with the sound bar?
How much better do you like the sound, if at all?
jeepguy1990 said:
I dont know what bracket you need but for me when I put one in my 90, all I did was pick up the extended dome light supports that go through the bar as well and screwed those into where my old ones were. Best $10 dollars I ever spent. Still cant believe the junkyard only charged me 10 bucks for the whole thing!

I just put one in my 94 Sport. As stated above it does hang in the middle...and will bounce alittle. How far it hangs will depend on where you position it. As for the rattles, its due to the wires smacking the back of the soundbar. You can tape them or do what I did and put some thin foam down with adhesive to quiet things down. Here is what it looks like...excuse the dirty headliner.

648974_22_full.jpg

Just one more. A tip for those of you who are looking for sound bars. A lot of them will be in just as bad of shape as the headliner. Mine was tan, and all the material was falling off. It was a mess. So I ended up ripping it all off, scrubbing as much crap off as I could (old glue and foam), and painting it with Fabric/Vinyl spray paint. Take the dome light out and do it separate as well as the grills for the speakers. Turned out great as you can see. And the texture of the soundbar kind of looks like fabric.

648974_23_full.jpg

As for the sound...I have 6x9 3-way speakers in truck boxes in the hatch. The speakers in the bar kind of add mid-range sound I think. I like it. Now when I wheel I can unplug the two truck boxes to make room and to keep them from floping around, but still have sound.

I do have a quesiton about mounting them. Which was asked earlier. Will my jeep have threaded holes for those dome light studs even tho my jeep didnt come with one? If so Im going to go get them this weekend.

Justin

I got my headliner and sound bar from a new xj at a junk yard for 20.00. The only thing you need from the donor xj is the 2 longer studs that hold the dome light and the 2 little clips that come with it.

The longer studs go through the sound bar and into the dome light and this is what keeps the center from hanging down.

On my 90' I do have some very small gaps in the corners of the roof line.

Hey Lunatic728, when you installed the studs for the bar/dome light, did your jeep already have a place for them to screw into? Im heading to the yard tomorrow to grab those and a few other things so Im just curious. Seeing as how I found the wire harness for the rear dome light already up behind the trim I assume there is a place for these studs as well.

Justin

Mine had a little bracket that was pop rivited onto one of the roof ribs. I Already had a dome light there and all that I did was screw the old posts out and the new longer ones in.

I hope it helps.

I had to remove the rear like 1/4 of the headliner. The sound is great too. Much better than the speakers my 90 came stock with. MUCH BETTER!

I recently purchased a soundbar, I originally had a light there so it seems I need these longer post. Jeep has no part # for these and aren't listed anywhere. I also can't find them out here in a salvage yard.

Can anyone describe these in more detail?
Can they be fabricated in some way or will regular screws work?
or Does any one have a set to part with?

Has anyone tried installing a set of component speakers up in the sound bar.
I'm looking at installing a set of Alpine SPS 136A 5 1/4" component speakers up there? I was a little concerned with the weight of the mid-range speaker..but it seems it should be ok.
Thanks

Lunatic728 said:
Mine had a little bracket that was pop rivited onto one of the roof ribs. I Already had a dome light there and all that I did was screw the old posts out and the new longer ones in.

I hope it helps.

I put an infinity component system in mine.
(5-1/4's seperate tweters and crossovers fit in bar).
Fits nice, looks good, but the sound..well lets say if all
the bass you have is from the 5-1/4 then the last thing you
need are sattlelite tweeters.

Back