• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1979 Ford dana 44 bronco

4x4forlife

NAXJA Forum User
OK i have a 1988 xj with a 44 in rear. I recently found a deal on a 1979 ford bronco dana 44 front axle. it includes all components + all steering components with steering box. would it be worth it to get and put under the xj?? its a little over a hundred bucks, is that a good price?

That is a very good price around here. That is the axle I have and I am going to put it under my XJ. I paid $250 w/o radius arms, track bar, and steering box. That's the good news, now the bad news. That axle has the cast radius arm mounts. As long as you are going to keep it full width, no big problem. It is a bit harder to narrow than the prior years axles, but the prior years have drum brakes.

My plans are to keep the radius arms, swap the coil buckets along with angling them a bit. I am keeping the stock knuckles, but flipping the tierod connection to the top of the arm and using 1ton TRE's. The radius arms will have the end modified with a RE SuperJoint. I will be fab'n the tie rod and drag link with chromo. I plan to try and use the stock Ford track bar with some mods and a custom upper bracket. In order to compensate for the extra width and different bolt pattern, I am adding spacers to my current rear D44 to set the rear wheels out a bit and change to 5x5.5" bolt patterm. This is the poor mans recipe for a front D44. It gets you 90% of the benefit for 20% of the cost.

I've recently come across a Wagy D44 from an 87, complete, for $150. I'm planning on getting the Clayton's bracket kit <$$$$, but it'll save time> and going that route. <I'm also going longarm>

What is the better build-- my way, or yours, Old Man? I'm curious what you mean about yours only getting you 90% of the benefit. Seems like going that way would take the binding problems out of the picture....

Back