• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any dusy pics??

Here's mine, http://home.comcast.net/~cdutke/dusey/dusey.htm ,it's just the Ershim side. Here's my story, Mark and I started out a bit late, we made it to the trail head a little late. Right at the beginning i notice a loss of power and my exhaust sound quite a bit louder. My CAT and muffler fell off, then Mark noticed GAS spraying from the tank, right at the pump. At this point I was almost ready to turn back home or maybe leave my jeep there and ride in with Mark. The fuel hose had a tear right where it meets the pump. I cut the end off, and guess what, I had power again.

So then Mark and i started down the trail. We really didn't have much trouble until I got my rear diff stuck on a rock, this rock had a hole at the top of it, I couldn't go foward or back. So then i told Mark to try to go around me, so he could give me a tug. Well in that attempt, his jeep caught my rear taillight and smashed to nothing. I eventually got off with Marks highlift with the fancy claw foot end. He can tell everyone what it is.

I was really inpressed with the camp, log tables, a couple pits, and Ershim is a really beautyful lake.

The next day on the way out, I was once again the problem child. My Xj started out fine for about 20 min to about a half-an-hour. The it started spurtting, I posted on the OEM board for those details, so once I figured out how to keep it going well enough. It was fine, except for the fact I had to run my heater to keep the engine cool.

The way out had to be a lot tougher than the way in, I ended up bending my OEM steering up, drag link and tie rod.

Otherwise I had a great time, can't wait to go again, :)

I had a really great time. Fun trail. Good folks. For the curious the Claw thing Chuck mentioned was a Jake Mate ( http://www.maasdam.com/jackmate/index.html ). A very handy tool that as the name implies complements the high lift. I didn’t notice any damage on the trail but I have found some since. The first thing I ran into was that my truck would not come out of 4wd at first I figured it was the thing doing its normal I’m all wound up and I don’t want to come out thing, but it ultimately became clear that another factor was at play, so I climbed under there to have a look and found that the linkage was all messed up. I was able to get a dislocated pivot rod back in its place and get it out of 4wd for the trip home, but half way back to Chucks place I encounter a detour where the road was all dug up. Being a Sunday there was nobody around so I figured I would give it a go but my mischievous intentions were squelched when I found I could not get it into 4wd. I’ll have to post on the other board for that one. On the way home I was getting a bit of a clunk some times as I was starting from a light. I’ll have to look into that one. Then on farther inspection of my under carriage today I found that my tie rod is slightly bent, and that one of the welds that held my rock rails on had broken. Good times!!:)

It was a great trip, a long trail, but beautiful all the way. I was forewarned it was a long bumpy ride so I was expecting a lot worse. Its definatly a must do trail, there are some optional stuff to make it more challenging. But alot of the trail the challenge was to see how much I could do in 2wd low with the rear unlocked :). This was actually a good thing it made me concentrate much more on the lines. And of course the company was great. There was the instance with the toyota guys but Richard let them know who was boss :) you'll have to ask him about it sometime. :D :D :D

on to the pics

a pretty gorge right before the trailhead as we were driving accross the dam.

cortright_res.jpg

a view of cortright res on top of chicken rock.

cortright.jpg

lined up on Kaiser pass

lined_up_on_pass.jpg

Me on the pass

pass.jpg

and here is a great one I am sure PaulS will love Eric left ahead of the group a little and got hung up pretty good :) check out the sign on the tree :)

no_jeeping.jpg

great photo's as always..[.non sierra visitors eat your hearts outs.]...wish i'd made it. chuck, sounds like additional repairs needed.....good thing there's a few of weeks before the next run:) gary, how was the gas milege? and do you have a 15 or 20 gal. tank? did you guys give a little jeep education to some yoda's???...... i'm ready to run red/coyote!!!:)

Gary, I can see that Erik's winch cable is out & it looks like there may be some kinda jack under is front bumper, was he stuck;)
It sounds like you had the pleasure of meeting the drunken Toyota guys (is there any other kind) late Friday night. I had a bit of a run in with them on my way out. Nothing like spending half an hour parked head to head with a bunch of drunks in the middle of nowhere in the dark.
Anyway, I had a great time, if not a bit rushed. It's always nice to hang out with old friends & meet some new ones.
Paul

Beutiful scenery! Wish I could have made it up there with you guys but I had fun none the less.

Jes

Jay, gas mileage was fine I topped off at Dinkey, drove back down to madera and still had 5 gallons in the tank, my tank holds 21-22 gallons.

Paul, yeah Eric was hung really well, rock on the front DS and all. He left ahead of the group and we caught him when he was stock. It took a few rocks and some highlifting and finally a little winching :) regarding the toyotas, just remember to stay on Richards good side :)

Bronco - I passed you coming home sunday (was visiting some friends in Visalia). I woulda waved or something but you probably wouldn't recognize me, especially in a toyota corolla :D

I was tempted to follow you back to Sac just in case but the wife has a lead foot.

Glad to here everybody made it.

thanks Gary, my '91 only has 15 gal. capacity...and that's push'in it :( even though the manual says 20 gal. that's why i think i need to take extra fuel on certain trips.

Amy and I had a truly great time on this trip thanks to great company, some of the best scenery ther Sierras have to offer, and perfect weather. Oh yeah, the trail's a lot of fun too. Our favorite section was the last bit from Ershim Lake down to the pass--everyone in our grooup thought that last hill near the bottom would be interesting to come up the other direction--we'll have to try the trail backwards next time.

I am busy as hell at work an otherwise right now but will try to get my pics up by the end of the weekend. I'll post the link here for anyone who wants to see them. Thanks again to everyone we wheeled with, awesome trip (ha! and no damage except for some nice pinstripes--I think I'll have to repaint my rocker skids again before the show 'n shine in Moab).

Scott and Amy

Got home from my extended stay in the Sierras yesterday afternoon.....Dusy, Florence Lake, Edison Lake........a very nice break and plenty of great scenery. Running Dusy with a lay day at Ershim Lake was a good way to start a vacation. Now I need to figure out what track bar mount I need to buy, my stock one is completely toast! (thread on mod tech) I have a ton of pics, and will get them up as soon as I have a little time. This was a nice relaxing trip, with a great group of people and some very good food. The weather was as good as anyone could ask for.

Yeah, we had a little run in with some 'yota lunk heads. Loud music after 10:30 in a wilderness setting...plus some bad attitudes...needed to be adressed. :D ;)

Wow! Chuck you just cleared 1000 posts! There must be some kind web wheelin’ heavy pimp prize for that ha?

Back