• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need pics of chopped XJ's

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Beez... and all others! Could you post links to pics that show the structural reinforcements? I got some peopel from Europe that saw Richards, Pauls and Beezil's and now they want to know how to do it themselves. Of course they are worried about structural strength... and you know what they say: picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks
Kejtar

Kej, at the risk of sounding like a prick, if they wanna know how, the project probably isnt for them....If you have the ability to tackle something like this, you don't need to understand how, you just start cutting and worry about it later. I see these choptops are becoming popular, and there's this impression that you can just chop and go.....there's a bunch of fab to deal with, and its a ton of work to do it right......make sure you know what you friends are getting themselves into....I'd never do it again....

Chop6.jpg

Bulkhead7.JPG

Bulkhead8.JPG

Frame2.JPG

roll18.JPG

Carrier5.JPG

cricket1.jpg

LOL.... actually maybe I phrased it wrong. As far as I know the person that is really interested in is capabale of doing it, but seeing how someone else did it gives other ideas, solutions. You have to admit that there can be a very simple and crude way to do it, or something somewhat sophisticated....

In any case, thanks and I will pass the info over.
Kejtar

However much frustrating ass work it must have been, you gotta admit beez, you own the wet dream of cherokees.

Or... at least my wet dream. Hey wanna trade?

I don't know if I'd use the same exact words (especially since its Beez we're talking to :) ) but yeah... I am hoping that with time, money and a new DD my XJ will become something similar to Beez's rig (with few changes of my own) :) ... but many many moons will pass before that happens...

Kejtar

I agreee 100% with everything Beezil said, had I believed him before I started I probably would not have done it. I had a somewhat different goal with mine, I wanted to keep it open & light, & bulid in enough stuctural integrity using light weight materials that I would not need a full cage. The roll bar in mine adds little to no structural integrity & was not made for that.
Paul

Back