• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st/2nd gear override switch (aw4)

xj_punk

NAXJA Forum User
so for those of you that have done switches to pin the trans in 1st and/or 2nd, what happens when you have it pinned in either one and you throw it into reverse?
i ask because the solenoid info i have only shows forward gears:
1st gear sol 1 on sol 2 off
2nd gear sol 1 on sol 2 on
3rd gear sol 1 no sol 2 yes

so i was wondering what would happen if i had it pinned in 2nd and got into a bad spot on a climb and had to chuck it into reverse... this will especially be impostant info since i plan on shaving the shift gates (besides park of course)

thanks a million,
nate

Stall?, mine stalls if I forget and come to a stop

no, i will not be locking up the torque converter, just pinning the trans in first or second. i am not really interested in messing with the tc right now

it will shift into R regardless if sol2 is on or not. The solenoids only choose the forward gears. I would assume R is shifted mechanically. When you shift back from reverse it will start in 2nd if your sol2 switch is still on. There is a wire that can be used to power the sol2 that is only hot when the shifter is in 1-2, if this really bothers you. But I've done it both ways and it always will shift to R no matter what gear it is held in electronically.

oh yeah i figured it would work of course but i was wondering if there are any ill effects due to this. i only plan on using the switches for wheeling so i am not very concerned. plus my rig is super wimpy so i will have to be nice to it anyways(no hammer down going from 1st to reverse) which is hard getting used to after having a buggy to beat on

To do this is there a kit you buy or just something you do? Are there any write up's on doing it? And how much would it cost to do b/c i would like to do it

Back