• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

B double E double R un request 2010

At this time it looks like I will bring a keg of Belgian Witbier

and tonight I brewed what is supposed to be a clone of the Sam Adams Boston Lager. It should be ready in plenty of time for WF. I may also bring partial kegs of whatever else I have left of the four I am currently drinking from.

Had a bunch of beer guzzlin' buddies over last Saturday, we killed one of my current kegs and tapped the Wit. I'll try to restrain myself, but it's pretty damn good...

I secondaried the Sam Adams clone yesterday, it was tasting good warm and flat, so it should be excellent cold and carbonated.

I also brewed a Porter using a different technique. Since I wasn't sure it would work I also added some additional fermentables, and wound up with an O.G. of .074 which could be interesting if it ferments out properly...

And I ordered and received kits for Oatmeal Stout, Scottish Wee Heavy, and RyePA, one or more of which should also be ready for WF.

On a side note, all the grocery stores here in Asheville have fire rock, longboard and Kona's porter. I tried the fire rock, not a big fan. I like the longboard though. I've filled the Kona order :cheers:

Thanks, Josh!

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing you :D

:cheers:

NOT THE WIT!!!!! Hope ya have some more by WF... :D

I can get KBC (Keweenaw Brewing Co.) for WF. It will be fresh too! I'll be picking it up the weekend before WF. Also can get New Glarus (Spotted Cow, etc) and Point Brewing stuff.

I can get KBC (Keweenaw Brewing Co.) for WF. It will be fresh too! I'll be picking it up the weekend before WF. Also can get New Glarus (Spotted Cow, etc) and Point Brewing stuff.

I may need some KBC! Would that be growlers direct from the brewery, or 6-ers of cans? Love the microbrews in cans, Maui Brewing Co does that, too.

OH NO!
Remember what BJ Sam Adams clone did to me our first WF?
:puke:
I will try to restrain myself....

Who am I kidding

Yeah, I remember :eek:, and his SA clone is what got me back into brewing because it was way better than the crap I brewed with the Mr Beer kit.

Just try frolicking like an epilectic goat like Mcgyvr, before bed, because I know he didn't :puke: in my motorhome :D

I may need some KBC! Would that be growlers direct from the brewery, or 6-ers of cans? Love the microbrews in cans, Maui Brewing Co does that, too.

Yeah, I remember :eek:, and his SA clone is what got me back into brewing because it was way better than the crap I brewed with the Mr Beer kit.

Just try frolicking like an epilectic goat like Mcgyvr, before bed, because I know he didn't :puke: in my motorhome :D

i don't remember :puke: so far at any winterfest for me...not in the motorhomes/trucks/popup campers...

must be the goat frolick...

mac 'keeping traditions' gyvr

John, the KBC is usually some pretty good stuff. I'm sorta partial to the Widowmaker Black Ale. I haven't found a clinker yet.

One thing's for sure: KBC *KNOWS* their market. They've got good beer, cheap, in a college town.

The KBC could be had in either cans or growlers. Although they only can their "Big 4" (Pickaxe Blonde, Redjacket Amber, Lift Bridge Brown, Widowmaker Black) but usually have much more on tap.

I would actually be able to get this fresh off the tap on Friday (the 5th) now as I have a friend coming from Houghton to Point to meet me. As far as getting growlers, I wouldn't make one pay for them if they didn't want to keep them. But it seems most places will fill a growler as long as it has the Surgeon Generals warning on it for alcohol.

The growler thing varies by state, and certainly by enforcement. Here around the Twin Cities, nobody will fill a growler from another brewer.

Ok, just saying by my personal experience.

Also for their current brews check the website

What do they get for a full growler? I like to have an assortment of growlers so when I bring homebrew somewhere I can keep track of what's what. And it looks like a couple of my Moab Brewery growlers have gone missing.

I would like to try their oatmeal stout but it doesn't look like they have that now. And if Jeff says the black ale is good, I have to try that, and maybe the IPA...

When would you need to know what to pick up?

I secondaried the experimental porter, gravity was 1.016, taste was excellent.

Planning to brew the Scottish Wee Heavy tomorrow. Last time it was very good but rather malty, so this time I'm adding more hops to balance it a little better.

Planning to brew the Scottish Wee Heavy tomorrow. Last time it was very good but rather malty, so this time I'm adding more hops to balance it a little better.

Considering an OG of 1.083, 1 oz. of bittering hops, and no aroma hops, I'd expect it to be very malty. Al of the Scottish styles I've tried tended to be sweet or malty, with little hop presence.

I should think about stopping by Flat Earth Brewing on Thursday to see what they've got interesting right now. I've got 2 FE growlers, I'll save one for you, John.

I'm 95% sure that a full growler w/glass to keep is 10.00-10.50.

If three is too much for Sean I could grab one or two too.

I'm 95% sure that a full growler w/glass to keep is 10.00-10.50.

That's very reasonable. Kona brewing charges $22 for a full growler, thats more than a 12-pack. I'll probably have you pick up 2 or 3 depending on what's available at the time. I can paypal, or pay cash at WF.

Brewed the Scottish Wee Heavy tonight, but I don't think it will be true to the style, other than the 1.085 OG. :D

Added 2/3 oz of Yakima Magnum to the oz of Northern Brewer for bittering, 1/2 oz NB and 1/2 oz Tettnang for flavor, and 1 oz NB for aroma.

I guess there was some kind of suit between The Downtowner (another local establishment, offers all kinds of beer and alcohol as well as food) and the KBC, this was because the KBC was cheap! 2.50 is what a bottle of Bud might cost at the DT. I don't know if the settlement included not selling food, but I know it dictated the KBC's closing time. 10 pm S-W, 11 pm R-Sat. All they have is their own beer and peanuts, you are free to order in though.

When you have a growler refilled it's 7.50, so its like getting a pint for free. Just check the website for their current "on tap" when we come down to that last week and let me know.

Total growler count thus far is ~5 :D

Well, I kegged the Sam Adams clone the other morning. Tasted a little wierd, until I realized I had just brushed my teeth.:D
Had a little more and it tasted great. It should be nicely carbonated for WF.

So far, I've been able to restrain myself from the wit, so I should have at least a few gallons of that, and I'll most likely bring the porter which should finish out at 7.5 to 8% abv. I don't think the wee hoppy heavy will be ready, but it's a possibility, too.

I put the order in with the local wine/beer store on monday, so when he calls I'll go pick up the Kona.

I'm hoping it makes the trip ok, it's not warm down here yet, but it's warmer than up north and I don't have room for 3 cases in the fridge.

Back