• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR Vanguard Prerunner LED bar

XJ_NorCal

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a JCR Vanguard Prerunner front bumper. I want to add an LED bar (approx. 20 inches) above or below the bull bar. I need help deciding whether to mount it above or below and suggestions on the easiest way to mount it (that doesn't require drilling holes in the tubing).

Does anyone have pictures of an LED bar mounted on this bumper?

Any information regarding mounting or compatible LED bar sizes is also appreciated. Thanks NAXJA!!!

24ne4qe.jpg

If it was me, and I didn't want to drill into the bumper, I'd get a light bar that had mounting dimensions similar to the mounting points for the winch fairlead, and either :

1) Modify the lightbar mount to bolt on at the fairlead mounting points

or

2) make a flat plate that the light bar mount mounts to, and then mount that plate to the fairlead mounting points.

Honestly, I can't see me ever mounting a light bar an any of my vehicles (altho I do like the one Quadratec sells that has the clearance marker lights made into it for once the lift is done), but it's not rocket science, nor hard to do. I personally would just drill holes in the vertical face of the bumper where the fairlead mounts, maybe install some appropriately sized nutserts if the backside of the holes are inaccessible, and bolt the light bar/mount on that way, but I understand somewhat not wanting to drill into the new bumper.

I'm sort of in the same boat, as the front bumper I want to install comes with a fairlead mounting plate welded on, but the odds of me actually mounting a winch on the bumper is about 1 in 100, as I want the winch mounting surface more as a place to stand or kneel when working on/in the engine compartment (short legs and a hefty mid-section).

I have explained this to the bumper manufacturer, and even when hinting that it could cost them the sale, they refuse to send me one without the plate welded on, so I will have no choice but to cut it off and repaint/recoat the bumper if I am gonna use the winch mounting surface as a place to kneel on when working under the hood.

The cutting it off and welding it back on at a later point isn't the deal, but I wanted to keep the factory paint job on it.

Last edited:
If it was me, and I didn't want to drill into the bumper, I'd get a light bar that had mounting dimensions similar to the mounting points for the winch fairlead, and either :

1) Modify the lightbar mount to bolt on at the fairlead mounting points

or

2) make a flat plate that the light bar mount mounts to, and then mount that plate to the fairlead mounting points.

Honestly, I can't see me ever mounting a light bar an any of my vehicles (altho I do like the one Quadratec sells that has the clearance marker lights made into it for once the lift is done), but it's not rocket science, nor hard to do. I personally would just drill holes in the vertical face of the bumper where the fairlead mounts, maybe install some appropriately sized nutserts if the backside of the holes are inaccessible, and bolt the light bar/mount on that way, but I understand somewhat not wanting to drill into the new bumper.

I'm sort of in the same boat, as the front bumper I want to install comes with a fairlead mounting plate welded on, but the odds of me actually mounting a winch on the bumper is about 1 in 100, as I want the winch mounting surface more as a place to stand or kneel when working on/in the engine compartment (short legs and a hefty mid-section).

I have explained this to the bumper manufacturer, and even when hinting that it could cost them the sale, they refuse to send me one without the plate welded on, so I will have no choice but to cut it off and repaint/recoat the bumper if I am gonna use the winch mounting surface as a place to kneel on when working under the hood.

The cutting it off and welding it back on at a later point isn't the deal, but I wanted to keep the factory paint job on it.

You may be on to something with the fairlead mounting plate. I found this on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Barnes-4WD-F...1524293221&sr=8-2&keywords=fairlead+led+mount

This may also work for me:

https://www.amazon.com/LAMPHUS-Off-...qid=1524293330&sr=8-3&keywords=led+tube+mount

Can you see the top of the bullbar from the driver's seat? If so, putting a light bar on top of it will reduce visibility.

These clamps would work for mounting:

https://www.amazon.com/GS-Powers-Bracket-Off-Road-Antenna/dp/B00YQED0HG

I just confirmed that the bull bar is barely visible from the drivers seat. I definitely do not want to mount it above the bull bar and lose visibility. That settles the above or below dilemma. Now to decide if I mount to the tubing or to the fairlead via a mounting bracket.

I just confirmed that the bull bar is barely visible from the drivers seat. I definitely do not want to mount it above the bull bar and lose visibility. That settles the above or below dilemma. Now to decide if I mount to the tubing or to the fairlead via a mounting bracket.

Again, I'd go to the fairlead mount. The fairlead plate is not really blocking airflow to radiator, but if you put it under the bull bar, you will block airflow thru the radiator.....in front of the fairlead plate should keep airflow just like it is now.

If it were me I would do one of 2 things (or both), get pods that fit in the holes in the bumper. Get some good headlights, like Truck-Lites.

Back