• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7's and a AW4

Hey guys, on the subject of 4.7's and the AW4 I have a question:

Do I really need an external cooler? What generates heat? Generally, it's my understanding the slipping of the clutches create heat. I'll likely have full control with a RAD shifter, and I have the transgo kit in with full hotrod shifts.

In theory my AW4 should run cooler right? The gears will shift quickly rather than that nice smooth "heat-causing" granny shifts. If I'm manually shifting the thing while wheeling, do I need to run an external cooler?

It will help but the primary heat generator is the torque converter. If held at full stall they generate a huge amount of heat pretty fast. Driving on the highway where to usually locked I only see about 110-120 degrees. If I start climbing a pass and it unlocks for a while or when wheeling I see 160-180. And that's with a big cooler for an f350 and not running thru the radiator.

Thanks for the replies! The info about the converter making heat answers my question and makes perfect sense.

I have a cooler already that came with the tranny. Thought it was a good sign the fella was running a cooler. I bought it used as part of my 2wd to 4wd build.

I'm back on this. I got my new XJ titled, registered, and insured last week so I will start tackling this week/weekend. I think I have this all planned and prepared for.
Any do's/don'ts or need to know tricks?
I did notice yesterday that I will have to drop the downpipe but I see 1 bolt has already fallen out!

back on doing which/what?

RADesigns shifter is what I have in the crawler, shifts are awesome. Adjusted the TV cable as someone else mentioned. I'll probably do it with my DD as well.

Installing my Transgo shift kit, I had been waiting to get a second vehicle running so I wouldn't be without transportation!

That's a definite on the cookie pan, plus a towel so things don't "roll". I've got calipers and micrometers to measure all the check balls with. So far I think I have everything together, I "HATE" leaks so in addition to the pan gasket I have Permatex that's specially formulated for ATF. In addition to that, I'm going to stud and "serrated flange" nuts with Loctite.

Started the tear down today. The exhaust was a major bitch but I finally got it and the valve body out. Tore the valve body apart tonight and got all the drilling done. Will work tomorrow on the all the pistons and re-assembly of the valve body.

Well it's done(hopefully right)! There definitely was some "interpreting" of the instructions and diagrams. It took me a little time to figure out what holds the pistons in the VB and what needed to done with the accumulator pistons. I will fill with ATF late tomorrow afternoon(24 hrs for the RTV to dry) and try it out!

I forgot to say that the best part of this was that my pan was spotless "like new" with no material collected on the magnets! I've only got 76k original miles on it and have run synthetic from the beginning.

Major failure! I've lost 1st and Rev and have no idea where to go from here. Best solution so far would be to p/u a P-n-P valve body unit. Does any body know the year interchangeability!

Thanks for the info. I was keeping track of that washer! But it obviously has to be torn down again. I did have a problem when installing the PRV so that,
is the first place I'll head. I did call Transgo today and they gave me a laundry list of items to check and that was on their list also!

I just spoke with Trango again because I'm going to start tearing it down tomorrow. I had a couple of question still and I'm concern that if I thought I did it right the first what will I see this time? At least it will be easier and clean this time!

One thing I did when I was trying to figure out where I went wrong was pull the return cooler line off at the trans. With it running I had almost no fluid coming out. If I revved it up to like 3k I got a little dribble out. That kinda helped me narrow it to the pr valve. Easy check before you tear it down.

Yourself and both sessions with Transgo says something in the pressure circuit failed. For the life of me I just can't figure out what I did wrong? Hopefully I'll get to the answer!

It's all torn down again ! Last weekend when we put it together, I had 3 sets of eyes watching, today taking it back apart I had 2 sets of eyes.

Don't see a thing that's not by the instructions!

The only thing that seems strange is that the PRV spring(Blue) from Transgo is about 1/2" shorter than mine. The other thing I can't find any info on is the effects of rotation on spring retaining sleeve(I did re-install the way it came out).

Does the Transgo kit increase or decrease line pressure???
Does the spring need to be firmer to accomplish this?

Does the TV valve try to increase or decrease pressure during WOT?

Back