• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Bought my first one almost four years ago for 103k, 1200 sqft on a slab, 2 car garage, .18 acres. Sold it 2 weeks ago for 96.5k. It was rough to take a hit on it but compared to some of the offers I got I felt pretty good getting out of it for that. Bought my new place for 123k, 1600 sqft, crawlspace, 2 car garage and 1.8 acres. Plus property taxes are $220/year.

Put stakes in the yard today for the 40x60 building, but I'm dreaming... probably won't be till next spring that I have it planned out and can break ground.

Finally with the housing nightmare over I can worry about wheeling again!

The house next sort to me just sold. Couple bought my age bought it. Been for sale for 5 years.

Who has that kind of patience? I was sweating bullets after 3 months but I was in a bit of a rush I suppose. Had a house across the street on the market for over a year, it sold cheap and almost every potential buyer tried to shove my face in it as a "comp"... I just said good luck finding another one for that price.

IF I had a nice two story tall garage with 3/4 of that being garage space and 1/4 of it being living space, I would love it.

Been there... I rented a 36x60 pole barn with a two-story apartment inside, it was nice to go out in the winter and have all my cars inside, but sometimes it's nice to keep all your toys in a separate place. Out of sight, out of mind... a lot of the time I just didn't want to see or deal with any of my projects.

I bought my house for 38k needing a roof, new insulation, new windows, new siding, new drywall and floors in every room except the living room, which needs to be refinished. also needed a new bathroom from the joists up, a new kitchen, all new electrical, new heating system, new chimney, all new plumbing including the sewer lines, foundation repointing and a new porch.

It's easier to list things I am keeping: most of the frame, the kitchen sink, most of the foundation, the hardwood floor in the living room, the front door, the stairway railing, the water heater, the basement sink, and the utility hookups.

I have no idea what it'll be worth in 5-10 years, but I'm hoping 100 to 150. That will buy me a much larger plot of land in the middle of nowhere to build from scratch on. I don't like having neighbors because at least one of them inevitably annoys me or wastes my time.

- Ken "building a house one piece at a time working alone, dirty job but someone's gotta do it" Stein MWC sackriders for life!

Last edited:
I'd like to schedule a meeting with the New Process/New Venture Gear enginerds who designed the mating system between their chain drive transfer cases and tranmission..... in a dark alley..... and mah friend da Baseball Bat will be in attendance.

And if you don't have a set of ratchet head box end wrenches (aka Gear Wrench,) get yourself a set. I pulled out the NV241DLD transfer case from my Dodge this afternoon. The top passenger side nut went 1 click at a time, but they all came out. Gotta freeze the bearings to make the overhaul process easier.

I'd like to schedule a meeting with the New Process/New Venture Gear enginerds who designed the mating system between their chain drive transfer cases and tranmission..... in a dark alley..... and mah friend da Baseball Bat will be in attendance.

And if you don't have a set of ratchet head box end wrenches (aka Gear Wrench,) get yourself a set. I pulled out the NV241DLD transfer case from my Dodge this afternoon. The top passenger side nut went 1 click at a time, but they all came out. Gotta freeze the bearings to make the overhaul process easier.
yep. owning an AW4 and an NP231J is why I also own a stubby 9/16 gearwrench.

Fortunately the AX15 setup is much less painful to deal with.

Yep, and I have always had to use a stubby on the top in every Jeep I've ever pulled the t'case on. No room for a regular wrench or ratchet b/w the trans tunnel and t'case.

Amazingly enough, I didn't have to pull the transmission crossmember out. It would have only gained me a little clearance on the wrench swing anyway.

lucky... that's another reason I like AX15 jeeps, you don't have to pull the crossmember. I hated pulling it on an AW4 jeep to get to that bottom bolt right under the trans mount.

The transfer case has been split and disassembled. Very little wear for a 320k mile tcase. Still going to replace seals, chain and most bearings, I'd like another 300k out of it.

Time to try Beezil's trick to get the oil tube and pump in place during reassembly.

We accidentally put the pump inside the housing on a friend's 231 while doing an SYE. Fortunately had a pile of 231 parts around as spares... because all the housing ears got busted off the pump and it had to be fully disassembled again.

My trick is to simply use a flat blade screwdriver or similar implement to push the oil tube into the side of the pump.

We accidentally put the pump inside the housing on a friend's 231 while doing an SYE. Fortunately had a pile of 231 parts around as spares... because all the housing ears got busted off the pump and it had to be fully disassembled again.

My trick is to simply use a flat blade screwdriver or similar implement to push the oil tube into the side of the pump.
That pump tube is a bastard to get in there!

I think Land and housing value depends on where you live and the desire to own said property/land. Though there are a lot of houses for sale up here, they are not moving as the owners can't get what they have invested (or want) out of them. A number of us in this area got new assessment this year, but only a $1K drop from last year. Still, all that means is that the mill rates will increase as munaple spending will increase. Fitchburg hired more Police, built a new Library, and modernized some infrastructure. I strongly suspect that they will ask the taxpayers to pickup the tab.

On a different subject, I went to the Great Taste of the Midwest this year (first time). An interesting event. For the non-Beer Fans here, it's a Microbrew tasting event. You are given a glass when you go in, and are able to sample (4oz or so at a time), Beers from all over the Midwest. The most interesting Beer I had was a Mango one from Delefield Brewery. There were a number of NA offerings as many Brewerys also make Root Beer.
People watching was interesting, as by 4 there were more drunk people than you could shake a stick at ;-)

-Ron

anyone have any hidden gems they know about....wanting to do a beach front cabin or cottage for our honeymoon WI or MI found a couple online that are nice. thought id check with you all

Back