• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Control Arms

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had any luck with urethane bushings? I have been toying around with the Daystar itemt that you push into stock control arms for about five years, and cannot seem to get it just right. I've even spoken to their tech, explained my problem, and he was stumped. I love the way the car steers and handles, but just don't hit a bump. I think I discovered the birthplace of Death Wobble. What it boils down to is the steel sleeve inside the bushine- it needs to be about 1/16'" shorter on each side, so that when you tighten the bolt, the bushing material will have the proper squash as the sleeve contacts the sides of the mount.
What I'd like to know is, does anyone know of or could recommend an aftermarket control arm that is stock length- I believe it is 15'' upper, 15.75 lower (center to center), pre-made with the stiffer bushings glued in, like the factory ones? I have new stockers in now, and the jiggling is gone, but so is the sharp steering. All other pasts are new or recently replaced, so my problem truly is suspension, as opposed to steering parts.
Sorry about the long ramble, but I look foreward to any ideas or suggestions....Thanks, Ray

I would ike to know too. I put the daystars on mine and they squeak and pop so much I'm ready to get stock rubber. Does anyone know if tj's arms are the same length. as there are several on e-bay?

I recently replaced the arms with Rubicon Express items- Superride lowers, and Superflex uppers.The salesman explained that these items will adjust down to stock length, so I could use them on my stock- height '92. The bushings are firmer than stock, so the handling is sharper, but not so hard as to be punishing, and they offer enough damping as to control the axle, to keep it from harshly shimmying when you whack a good bump. I just have to find out if the upper axle end replacement bushing is also made of this firmer material, as the Superflex upper is now using a stock bushing at the front.

Back