• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just a little more detail... TRE''s

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, i know this is tech, but i would like your opinion mostly!

My tie rod (drivers side) can be shifted up and down by hand pretty easily, and i had some un-even tire wear as well.

So i want to replace the TRE's, and am a bit confused by the jargon...

- It seems the TRE on the passenger side is not serviceable, it is part of the drag link and has to be replaced as a whole unit. (not worried about that at this point, it seems to be ok...)
- then there are 3 other TRE's. to the steering knuckle, tie rod to the drag link, and drag link to pitman arem.

i swear every website lists them differently (inner/outer, RH/LH) it is a bit confusing. i would like to replace all three, so i kind of would like your opinons. Moog seems good but expensive. Anyone else have a favorite?

Cheers!

Currie Correctlync FTW. Ditch the stock junk, you will keep having problems with it. And if you do any wheeling at it, it is completely worth it. The Stock steering requires an alignment after every wheeling trip if you are gonna drive it on the road, literally.

that Currie set up is sweet looking! but again expensive lol! I also saw the ridgeline HD kit (drag link and tie rod) for $189.

my XJ is stock and 99% of it's life is on paved road sadly enough. it does get off road for camping and beach trips every so often. i will look into the currie kit and it might just be worth it.

for a replacement while the currie kit is in the works, maybe just whatever Adv auto/autozone has on the shelf?

hightime81,

The Currie stuff "looks" expensive but it gives you what you want. I've seen tons of posts about how people bought an OTR kit or Rugged Ridge stuff and saved money only to end up with vague steering or play issues. Then they aren't happy and search for solutions.

Currie is simple, bolt in, strong stuff. I have it and would recommend it to anyone. I bought mine from Northridge4x4.com.

a cheaper route would be to put in a heavier duty tie rod, and new tie rod ends. this would stiffen up the steering, be stronger, but still have stock drag link. if you are just driving on the street this is a good way to go, since it is significantly cheaper than curries. this is what i ran for quite a while on 33" tires, offroaded regularly, and never had an issue.

Back