• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No back seat

Fletch85

NAXJA Forum User
Took the back seat out of my 98XJ today. Going to make a false floor tomarrow to cover up the area where the seat folded down into. Has anyone else done this and does anyone have pics of theirs?

I am in the exact same process with my 87' 2dr. I also yanked all of the carpet and most of the rear trim panels. What are you going to make the false floor out of? For mine I think I am going to use 3/16" I know it is over kill, but I have some pnumatic lifts that need some weight to hold them shut.
Someone has to have pics.

I am just going to get some wood. I just need to flatten out the back because I like to sleep back there on offroad trips. But I would really like to see some pics.

Fletch85 said:
I am just going to get some wood. I just need to flatten out the back because I like to sleep back there on offroad trips. But I would really like to see some pics.
You might try to incorparate some trap doors of some kind so that you can use the dead space for storage

I've been considering the same mod. I haven't had time to pursue it. Post some pics when you get done. Let us check out your ideas.

I had an idea to make a steel frame out of angle iron and using expanded metal. Make it long enough so that it would extend to the back of the front seats. (I hate the hole left by the lower seat cushion. My pillow always falls down there no matter what I use to fill the hole.) I've been thinking of trying to retain the latching mechanism so that I can lift the new panel up and block off the rear area when hauling stuff.

I took the seat completly out back and all. Made a brace out of some scrap I had, bolted this into the floor. Use 1/8" plate to make the floor. It is bolted to the brace and where the seat back bolted into. I did this so I can put the seat back in if needed ( 3 kids). Had a tool box & hi lift bolted to it for the Moab trip. If I am going to sleep in the back I put the jack underneath. I don't have any openings in the top, but the sides are open. If anyone wants pics. send me your email & I will send some. Jim

i recently built a wall similar to beezils when he first did his chop.
the wall is to separate passengers from tools and equip. the "wall" is about 2-3 inches aft of the "c" pillar, and made from 1/14" square tubing. it also has 20ga. sheetmetal covering both sides.
im in the process completing the "floor". its made from the same material as the wall. storage is accessible through the front. its strong enough for seating (later down the road).
-G

ILLXJ said:
I took the seat completly out back and all. Made a brace out of some scrap I had, bolted this into the floor. Use 1/8" plate to make the floor. It is bolted to the brace and where the seat back bolted into. I did this so I can put the seat back in if needed ( 3 kids). Had a tool box & hi lift bolted to it for the Moab trip. If I am going to sleep in the back I put the jack underneath. I don't have any openings in the top, but the sides are open. If anyone wants pics. send me your email & I will send some. Jim
Here are some pics of Jim's work.
SUNP0001.JPG

SUNP0003.JPG

SUNP0005.JPG

Back