• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiators

family XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered a 3 core for my '93. I was looking at my brothers '89 and his is overheating. I know the closed system they use has the 2 lines that go to the bottle and the heatercore is about the only difference. My question is this. Can I use the old '93 radiator in the '89 and change those 2 lines to bypass the bottle, then put in an overflow bottle? His radiator is shot and mines still good. I know I have to close the 2 lines for the Auto transmission but that's not really an issue. Anyone else look at doing this? Thanks for the help and advice.....DuG

What you are talking about is converting from the "closed" system to the "open" system, and there are a LOT of threads discussing this. It can be done.

Issue number 1 is that if the '89 has an auxiliary fan, it is controlled by a thermal switch mounted in the driver's side radiator tank. Your radiator doesn't have a fitting to accept that sensor. Review some of the discussions for possible ways to work around that.

Issue number 2 is that your radiator is over 10 years old. As far as I'm concerned, the OEM radiators are only good for ten years. I know you mean well, but I don't think you're doing your brother any favors by giving him your old radiator. He should buy a new one. His call whether to convert or stay with the closed system. Most people on here will probably say "convert," but the open system doesn't cool any better than the closed, so I don't see the point.

Thanks eagle, I was only wondering if the open and closed really made a difference. I think I will skip the whole hassle of converting. I seen the other posts about open systems and the moroso parts involved. Just never seen one about what I was asking. Thanks again

I second that, there is nothing wrong with the closed system, even now ford and VW both use it on new vehicles, it allows them to squeeze a bigger rad in and not have to deal with tanks. The only weakness of the jeep system is the plastic tank and pressure cap. Eagles Summit aluminum solution solves that problem nicely I think...

Back