• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple Pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Just a few random pics from Chinamans Gulch ...the first real shake down run on the Clayton's coil sprung rear and new Clayton's Front end ...Only 1 minor issue which was a couple loose coil retainers , but everything else worked very well ...funny thing is by the time it's dialed in it will be time for 44's and then the need to dial those in ...IT NEVER ENDS...lol

The Rock pile extreme far left line...

b5945db9.jpg

269e749c.jpg

278a746a.jpg

as you can see in this picture the high clearance axle mounts and very well tucked up design of the claytons control arm mounts at the body were/are the only reason the XJ was able to hump the rock like this and not hang up anywhere...ZERO DRIVER SKILL HERE ... lol...it was completely the design of the parts that let the Jeep over the rock in this position...unlike the bolt on bracketry of the bolt on coil link kits that would have been hanging down from the frame rails beaching the truck instantly...Nothing pre-made compares to the all round well designed Claytons pre-fab XJ coil kit in-order to beat it you would need to cut holes in the floor for absoulute propper geometry and built it 1-off to do any better...lol...Clayton's is the shyyyt .

ccf6268e.jpg

b4ca356f.jpg

Whlaes tail extreme left line...this is where the lack of bolts being in the retainers had me losing my springs every attempt...finall I got it without flexing the coils out ...problem fixed now ,So this obstacle should be as easy as it can be at 7.5 feet wide...No matter what I did on this line I just could not get the wheels to even lift off the ground ...It's amazingly stable with the flex and its wide stance with only about 8.5 lift

33d79ef4.jpg

d14dc65d.jpg

this last pic is better showing no wheels off the ground ,And me making Steve my spotter very nervous ,as I got very comfortable on this obstacle very fast and decided on one attempt to start roasting the tires to find traction...Steve thought it was going 2 fall off...anything can happen ,but I highly doubt it was going to fall off as stable as she was with all 4 firmly planted on the obstacle ...But I guess I should wait to flop until I get the EXO ...Now I just need a few mpre 8-9+ rated trails to play on b4 winter ...

Suspenion courtesy Clayton's Offroad Waterbury ,CT ... Top notch Install Courtesy of CrawlerTech Crane High Clearance Commerce City Colorado ... And of course the d-60 is sporting a Bulletproof 8620 material lip-less design Crane green diff cover ,which has already paid for itself ...infact I ran into a rock comming off the rock pile at 15 MPH ,and hardly scuffed it on a 400lb boulder ...lol

Last edited:
Looks good. Love that far left line. Why you think stuff would catch on it though? Just design of aftermarket rear link set ups or in general? Tire size? Looks great boss :thumbup:

Looks good. Love that far left line. Why you think stuff would catch on it though? Just design of aftermarket rear link set ups or in general? Tire size? Looks great boss :thumbup:

Rear leafs would not catch on it ...but most bolt on rear link systems would since they hang down about 2-3 inches from the frame rail since they just bolt onto the bottom of the uni-rail ,and hang down not to mention most of them are running the typical lower control arm axle mounts that hang down from the bottom of the tube about 2 inches ...my friend on 40's went b4 me and went into the crack like I did on my way up ,but I did not catch on the low hanging brackets as he did ,which earned him a pull from the cable as he could not go forward or back hung on the body side control arm brackets front and rear ...the line could be done on smaller rubber for sure ,but it would take better skill and better thinking of tire placement on the line to keep from hanging up...I have no skill ,and just pointed it and drove over it with no regard to tire placement ...lol...which I can only thank the Hi clearance aspects of the design,as with just 2-3 inches less I'd been stuck quickly .

Tire size?

Jeep looks good man, but definitely do the exo before you flop or roll it. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Tire size?

Jeep looks good man, but definitely do the exo before you flop or roll it. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Tires are 39.5 x 18.00 which next set will be either 42's or 44's ...Just not sure of the brand if 42's ...if 44's , well that only leaves me 2 clear choices TSL or Bogger ...I need to pour a concrete slab so I can do the bending on the cage sometime b4 winter, And I lose motivation due to me being a puss ,and not wanting to work outside ...The exo is number 1 on my list and an Atlas is 2nd ,Which I 'm debating on a 2spd or 4 spd ...from what Colorado has for trails I think a 2spd is going to be enough in a 4.3 or 5.0 since my tire size will be 40-44 size , but it would be nice to have 3 low ranges for wheel speed choices .

Gotchya. I can see how there would be a heavy difference with the lower link on that spot. Rocks you dont expect jump out and grab ya :thumbup:

Thats a whole lot of tire!!!!

Back