• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I remove trans cooler lines from trans??

esirol

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace both the metal trans cooler line that connect directly to the trans. I'm just not sure how to remove it. Also, can I disconnect the metal lines from the rubber hose that go to the cooler or will I need to replace the rubber hoses too?? How many cooler lines are there?? Thanks.

2001 XJ
4.0L
Auto trans

You should be able to depress the "ears" on either side of the fitting, then push, then pull them out. Some have said they needed a special tool to this, I used needle nose pliers.

There two lines coming from the tranny. The forward line goes TO the "cooler" in the radiator. The top fitting. Trans fluid passes through the radiator and comes out the bottom fitting and back to the rear fitting on the tranny.

If you have an additional cooler (in front of the radiator) then that line goes to that cooler and another line goes from radiator to cooler.

So, if you have the cooler in front of the radiator, There are three lines (tranny to radiator, radiator to cooler, cooler back to tranny) If you DON"T have the cooler in front of the radiator there should only be 2 lines (tranny to radiator, radiator to tranny).

If you replace those lines, pay attention to how the o-rings (you need NEW o-rings) go back in. O-ring, white plastic spacer, o-ring. The quick-connect clips may or may not come with the lines, same with the o-rings.

If you are replacing the lines, you should replace all the fittings and all the o-rings.

If you want another option, PM me.

I really, really hate those fittings. I tend to make liberal use of fire, linemans pliers, and new fittings/lines when I have to screw around with them.

I just peeked under my Jeep yesterday and it looks like my lines might be leaky. I am not familiar with the cooler and lines yet, but I am wondering if I could just put barbed fittings on the cooler and run regular trans hose with clamps instead? Seems like it would be simpler and less chance of a leak than with quick disconnects on there.

Any ideas? I imagine that when I get a chance to look at the system it will be more obvious. My last XJ was a 5spd and I haven't had my new one (AW4) very long, so I haven't really become too familiar with it yet.

A 2001 doesn't have the "ears" on the quick-connect fittings.It takes the "round collars" that slide into the fitting to relase.They are sold in sets as fuel/trans/ac removing tools at most parts stores.

i have the same problem im not familiar with it either i just took a peek under my jeep and figured id see if this was an easy fix by coming here, how much would new lines and fittings run me if i order them from advance?

if you guys feel like ditching those stupid lines and "quick diconect" fittings
check out Talyn and grimm jeepers walkthroughs that's what I did..

used jegs push lock hose with 6AN fittings and added a cooler/ temp gauge/ and aux filter. And I am very pleased withe the results and if I have any problems they screw apart w a plain ole wrench

I bought aluminum compression tools from Autozone for $20 or so. They work SO much better than plastic ones, and paid for themselves in about 19 seconds. Those work for the two fittings up toward the radiator/trans cooler.

Funny thing is, I came here to read how to disconnect the other end at the transmission, and thought I could offer some input on the opposite end of the problem. I'm replacing both of mine after crushing them a few years ago when I bottomed out the shocks. In the interim, I just cleaned up the lines and put some rubber fuel hose in the gap from the crushed line segment. Doing a long-arm install this weekend, so it seems the perfect time to replace these while everything is out of the way. They are a PITA to twist around and get into place otherwise.

When I replaced my crushed cooler lines, I managed to bugger up the clip inside the fitting on the radiator. I can order a replacement, correct?

Your local parts store should have an assortment of clips.

Back