• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Little THings

Gecko

NAXJA Forum User
What are all the little things you need to think about when lifting, and at what height will they begin to matter? I mean things like brake lines, sway bar links, driveline, and trimming.

Always be concerned about brakelines. The swaybar links will need to be extended to keep the end out of the coil springs.

0-3": Not much. Stock steering and control arms should be fine. You also should be able to get a decent alignment. The stock trackbar will pull the axle towards the driver's side, it may or may not be a problem for you. On the 97+ (may be 96) you'll need to be careful about the rear driveshaft, D/C changed the tailcone. Pretty much any lift leads to an SYE on these.

3-6": new lower control arms, and you'll want to look at upgrading your steering somehow. Most XJs need an SYE at the tcase towards the high end. You'll need a trackbar to recenter the axle.

6+": Pretty much everything in the front suspension will be rebuilt. All new control arms, trackbar, maybe the trackbar brackets, steering.

Yes, I haven't said much about the rear. You may need offset shackles if the loaded eye-to-eye distance makes the stock shackles hit the unibody. BTW, I like to use new u-bolts.

Trimming? 31x10.50s fit my wheelwells just about perfectly. With 33x12.50s, I had to trim the front of my front wheelwells. How much to trim is determined by tire width, rim backspacing, and how far up you want to stuff. 33x9.50s on one set of rims may stuff nicely, 31x12.50s on a different set of rims may need a lot of trimming.

Shock absorbers...... stocks seem to be good for a 2" budget boost. After that, you'll need longer ones. Which may also mean using bar pin eliminators, stud convertors, etc.

Thanks man, I'm doing some notes for school and wanted to make sure i dont leave anything out.

Yea, im not talking about how to do a lift, jsut the parts and problems that need to be bought or addressed. Thanks for the help though.

Gecko said:
Yea, im not talking about how to do a lift, jsut the parts and problems that need to be bought or addressed. Thanks for the help though.
OK then, let me rephrase.

In the future, you may have PROBLEMS if you hadn't ADDRESSED the PARTS that NEED drenching with PB Blaster when trying to go higher with a LIFT that you BOUGHT. Hope this HELPS THOUGH.

J/K

All right then, Ill make a big note on the bottom for my mentor to read "Make sure to douse everything in PB Blaster every day starting months in advance. Making a giant pool of it to drive into would be best"

:wave: I have something to add, the e-brake line! at least for me when I put a 4.5 lift on mine at almost full flex was tugging real bad and I ended up having to cut the cables off.....I have the automatic tranny so it didn't really matter too much....anyone else have a problem with this? is there a way to extend the cables?

afjeep2082 said:
:wave: I have something to add, the e-brake line! at least for me when I put a 4.5 lift on mine at almost full flex was tugging real bad and I ended up having to cut the cables off.....I have the automatic tranny so it didn't really matter too much....anyone else have a problem with this? is there a way to extend the cables?

95 YJ passenger side cables. Cross them over, they're almost too long.

Back