• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Almost time to leave

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
Monday morning I have to attend a pre-race meeting and then we start at noon. Just wanted to say thanks to those that donated. Right now I have just a shade under $1500 that's going to the Lance Armstrong Foundation for cancer research. Right now I am in the process of making sure that anyone that wants to, knows how they can follow along. As of yesterday, it looks like there will be 18 starters and it looks like almost every rider will be equipped with a SPOT beacon. A while ago, I created a website to document the build up to this race and it will also serve as a good place to do a write up and post all the pictures I'll take. If you go to the site you will see a link on the upper right that says CTR Leaderboard. It takes you to the Tour Divides site. They are going to run the board for us. It will display all beacons. I'm not sure how good theirs is (I think it's the same) but I will also have another link on my site that will take you to a Google image and show only where I am. When we played around with this, the satelite images got in pretty tight and you could really get a feel for the terrain. Both maps should provide viewers with tracks of us every 10 minutes (as long as users have them set to track mode).

Here's my site: http://www.denver2durangoviacoloradotrail.blogspot.com/

I think that's it. See you guys later.

-Chris

Best of luck Chris! You're a nut for doing this, but we already knew that about you so...... Be safe, have fun, and be strong!

:wave1:

Hey Fred, I know times are tough but thanks for the support man. I never thought it would go that high.

-Chris

Fred said:
Hey,
I made it an even $1500. :)

Good Luck.

Fred

No doubt, physiologically, he's a freak of nature but...it's not about the nut. EPO.

91 Jeep Project said:
Hey, if Armstrong can do it with one nut.......

I see how it is...you wont front any dough for me and go across town to pick up something?

That's cool.

:D

riverfever said:
I see how it is...you wont front any dough for me and go across town to pick up something?

That's cool.

:D

Dood...... Yer alive!

I wasn't frontin' any money until I was certain that mountain wasn't gonna claim yer skinny ass and make you disappear........ :D

It was quite an adventure indeed. Definitely life changing.

If anyone's interested in looking at a write up I did on my ride...here it is.

So........ you were actually at a terrorist training camp and not actually on a bike ride?

Or pretending to be John Rambo in the desert?

I'm so confused......... :D

riveralqeda_2.jpg

Last edited:
I think you need to put the drugs back in the evidence room there Bossman. I'm pretty creative but I can't see any John J. Rambo similarities in that pic. Just one sexy ass bicycle rider ensconced in lycra. :wave:

rambo_narrowweb__300x365,0.jpg

Don't try to deny it. I know you'd like us all to believe that silhouette is supposed to be you riding your bike....... I'm not buying it..... :D

The part that scares me the most is that as soon as I read 'Terrorist Training Camp' I saw Rambo in the shadow picture also.

Signs of a misspent youth I suspect.

There's so many other cool pics on that site and you 2 are stuck on John J. :confused:

Truth be told though...there was a night when I ate a raw potato b/c I was running low on food and happened to run across a country store and they were the first thing I saw that made sense. But before I stopped riding for the night and started gnawing on that potato, a guy I was riding with was stopped on the trail and looking at something. I stopped and he said, "What the hell is that?" I believe they were prairie chickens (a hen and 3 cornish game sized hens). My response was simply, "Fawkin dinner." It's amazing where the ethics can go when you're hungry. I would have eaten trout on more than one occasion.

Hmmmm....... now I'm wondering why a guy roughing it on a mountain bike for several days would even have a raw potato packed as a food item...... :looney:

Then I thought..... "oh yeah, were talking about River here...."

Back