• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 adjustment procedure

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
How do you properly adjust the shift linkage? I've only been able to get it in 4 low a handful of times since I've owned it, all other modes work fine.

How are you shifting into 4 Low?

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.

How do you properly adjust the shift linkage? I've only been able to get it in 4 low a handful of times since I've owned it, all other modes work fine.

May not be per the manual, but this is what I did:

Shift the transmission into neutral - necessary to prevent binding when trying to go from 4 High to 4 Low.

Shift the transfer case shifter into 4 Low

Under the Jeep on the driver's side up in the "tunnel" loosen the two lock bolts on the two shifter rods. This allows you to manually move the transfer case shifter into 4 Low. You can move it around and feel it "clunk" into place.

I held the actual transfer case shifter into 4 Low, and then tightened down the shift rods.

This worked for me, plus never trying to shift into 4 Low unless you're stopped and in neutral.

Good luck with it!

I tried all the above. Even with a pipe wrench on the case lever and moving the driveshafts it just won't go into low. Pretty sure it probably will just take a rebuild at this point, it does seem to be the original case at 360k miles, and already has a lot of slop in the front shaft bearing.

Back