• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scratched bearing while replacing rear main seal

StephenJC

NAXJA Forum User
Hello there, looking for some guidance. I was changing my leaking rear main seal and was not being careful enough while removing the lower half from the main bearing cap. I didn’t pull out the lower bearing and my tool slipped and scratched it. I’m wondering if I should try to smooth it out somehow and keep using it or if I need to replace it.

I’ve read a lot of forum posts with some saying that replacing the bearings without pulling the crank and getting it ground and polished is bad, and that it’s best to just keep using a scratched bearing. Others say it’s no big deal to change them out.

It’s a 2000 Cherokee just passed 200,000 miles.

Pictures found here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/scratched-bearing-while-changing-rear-main-seal-268909/

what should I do here?

I threw in a new set of rod bearings without doing anything to the crank, it dosent care. You could probably be fine with just gently sanding the bearing shell smooth, but as cheap as they are why not just replace it? You should do rod bearings while you're in it that deep anyway.

Take a pic, no work may be needed!

It really depends on how deep those scratches are. Please post a pic!!

Back