• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window crank for an xj

Bmfinney

NAXJA Forum User
Guys I’m wondering if they make a metal window crank handle that will work for a 97 Jeep Cherokee. I keep breaking these plastic ones.

I am not aware of any metal options.

It may be worth considering why you are breaking them. It is one thing if you have kids, it is another if you need to open up the doors and do something to service the internals so things will move smoothly.

It doesn’t move that bad. That’s the thing I did lube it up. And put some conditioning on the window seal. I can move it just fine with one hand.

Are you breaking old ones (pulled from junkyards), or are you referring to something "new" (like the Dorman "Help!" line at Napa)? How are the crank handles actually failing (the part that turns the regulator strips, the knob falls off, the handle itself shears between the knob and the regulator connection, or something else?

My XJ's a 92 and doesn't have crank windows, so don't know how that part attaches in a 97+.

Have you

Well I ordered another dorman knob. And dumped more lube on the window regulator and trim its moving really easy was moving a pretty easy but it is better now.The knobs keep coming apart. They’re new parts. I ordered another knob gonna see if this works again.

Hm, would have thought that it would only attach to the post on the regulator that it has to turn, but I've never been inside a door with crank windows.

Any chance of getting your hands on a factory one, to see how those clips compare to the Dorman version?

I might go to a salvage yard and find one if this breaks again. It’s moving super easy now . That might have been the problem. I can move it with my pinky before it took a little effort probably too much for those cheap handles. I didn’t think it was bad but compared to now. I bet i fixed the problem.

Sounds like it. I assume you're going to give the other three doors the same lube treatment? Seems like it might be a good idea...

Well my Jeep is almost done after me wrecking it over the summer. Besides installing the 8.8 rear axle.
St1LWP6

Back