• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ tick tick ticking!

Griffin

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Fair warning: there is a lot of history behind this issue. The vehicle that has brought me along for this adventure is a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0L, AW4 transmission. I will be telling you everything I have done to try to resolve this issue.

This June, I installed:
  • exhaust manifold (OMIX 17622.12)
  • engine mounts (Crown Automotive ‎52040267)
  • transmission mount (Crown Automotive 52002334)
  • JY 99+ intake manifold
  • exhaust studs instead of the OEM bolts (reusing the cone washers)

When I started up the Jeep after installing these parts, it sounded like a fartcan Civic. Sticking my hand by the exhaust port revealed that exhaust gasses were escaping due to the poor quality of the gasket. Bummed, I ordered a new exhaust gasket on the recommendation of a friend (Remflex 10-001). I splurged as doing this job sucks and didn't want to do it again. A few days later, the exhaust gasket shows up. I install it. Fire the Jeep up and it doesn't sound much better than it did last time. For sure it's quieter, but now it ticks. It's almost a rattily tick, like something wasn't tightened down all the way. After the test drive, I let everything cool down, and re-torque the nuts. There is no room to fit a torque wrench in there so I do everything by feel. The improvement is marginal.

At this point, I think I'm doing something wrong. I take it to a shop and ask the guys to take a look. They say it's probably internal noise as the Jeep is high mileage (240k) but they can't explain why it ticks now and it didn't beforehand. Their best guess was the exhaust gasket but they cannot guarantee it would fix the issue. I gave the go ahead, they put another Remflex gasket on it, and no improvement. Bummer, but live and learn. Just a more expensive mistake for sure.

Well, the only thing left to replace again is the exhaust manifold. Prior to installation, I used a smoke machine to verify there were no leaks, but maybe I missed something. Warrantied the exhaust manifold and slapped the new one on there with another Remflex gasket. I would like to say it sounds better, but it may just be in my head. Shoot, maybe it really is internal noise. I take off the valve cover. I wiggle the rocker arms, I spin the push rods, I push down on the lifters. I run the motor without the cover on. Excellent oil delivery and all valves are opening/closing properly as far as I can tell. The only thing that made me a little concerned was the push rods on cylinder #5 had just a tiny bit of runout, but it was so marginal I can't say with complete confidence that they were tweaked.

At this point, I'm at a loss. I was super close to ordering new lifters the other day but I can't confidently say they are the issue as the ones in there seem healthy, not even to mention what a project that is. The motor is well-maintained - zero sludge, great oil pressure - so why would a lifter fail anyway? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

98 XJ Ticking (Driving)
98 XJ Ticking (Parked)

I didn't hear anything in your video's, but use a stethoscope to listen in areas to refine your search. You can use a piece of pipe, a piece of garden hose, even a long screwdriver. Typical culprits are the valve train and the rods, even the torque converter flex plate can be added to the list.

X 2 on hearing no ticking noise in your videos.

Sorry guys, it's not a very loud sound and can be hard to hear. I have tried using a stethoscope but I can only tell it's top end noise coming from around the back third of the engine towards the firewall.

If you watch the 98 XJ Ticking (Park) video, it's especially audible about 18 seconds in. Sounds almost like a pen clicking repeatedly at a high speed. I can get another video tomorrow and potentially filter out some of the lower pitches so it's easier to hear.

I did not have time today to do any editing, but I got a video on my commute home. This one seems to have picked up the metallic clatter better, but who knows after it gets sent through the internet.

I will try to get videos tomorrow underneath and under the hood.

https://youtu.be/Kwldv4GjYHE

I can hear that but it doesn't sound very "mechanical". That sounds more like something hitting the radiator fan blade...... I even had a ty-wrap hit my driveshaft and make that noise!

My CmPS also did that when the magnet got dis-lodged.

I attempted to get videos the other day under the hood and in the engine bay. You couldn't really hear it over the noise of everything else so I'm not going to take the time uploading using my donkey powered internet.

I looked at the rad fan and spun it. It does not contact anything. Same with the electric fan.

RCP, could you elaborate on the CPS making that noise? I suppose it is plausible mine could also be doing in since it sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine bay. I may try and remove it this weekend to make sure it's not falling apart.

Not the CPS(CkPS), the CmPS in the distributor!

Sorry for the late update. Checked the CkPS in the distributor and the sound is definitely not originating from there. I do not believe it is piston slap as I have heard a motor with it and it doesn't match this one.

I'm half tempted to just toss pushrods and rocker arms at it since it seems to be a top end noise. I hate shoving parts at it but I'm really baffled as to what else it could be. What really gets me is how it does not subside or worsen, regardless of engine temperature. I'd like to think there is still an exhaust leak somehow, but I filled the whole system with smoke and nada. On top of that, I also pressurized the tailpipe and sprayed soapy water everywhere. No bubbles. Annoying.

I thought mine was top end, drove me crazy forever. Spent a lot of time and money to figure out it was piston slap in the end. These are very old tech, (originally designed by AMC,) and the newest one is over 20 years old now. Probably something you are just going to have to live with. All winter long mine sounds like a diesel idling, and has sounded like that for 90k miles, still uses no oil.

I'll admit, I have a hard time admitting defeat on these sorts of things. Especially this thing, because it didn't tick before the manifold replacement and does now. Makes me feel like I did the job wrong, but the shop did it and it still sounds the same...

My Jeep does make a noise like this (especially when it's below freezing), but only at cold start. You have to listen for it though because it's not very loud like this guy's is. https://youtu.be/0vywAITE5pk

If you're lucky (in a sense?) like I was today, you can hear both noises simultaneously, but they do not happen at the same frequency. I can't 100% remember anymore but I'm fairly certain the ticking was maybe half the speed of the "clatter" that you hear in the video. I'm half tempted to pull some pushrods and rockers out of a JY Jeep and toss them in mine for kicks. Probably not the best idea, though.

Hi everybody,

I am overdue for an update to this thread. About two weeks ago, I was forced to play my hand and rebuild the top end of the motor. The noise had become excessive and I was concerned it was going to leave me stranded. This rebuild included new lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, and pivots. After running a full camshaft break in procedure, I wound up taking a 50 mile round trip drive. It was great. The only noise was from the exhaust.

Fast forward to today and the sound has slowly returned over the past week. It's still not as bad as it was before, but it sucks I still have to listen to it cruising around. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse. My best guess is one of the lifters I installed has something wrong with it and I'm just SOL. I pulled the valve cover and re-torqued the rocker arms with no improvement. I do not plan on pulling the head for lifters again so I guess it was what it is.

tldr: Spent $350 for 50 miles of tick free driving. Now it's back. I'm just gonna live with it.

I am overdue for an update to this thread. About two weeks ago, I was forced to play my hand and rebuild the top end of the motor. The noise had become excessive and I was concerned it was going to leave me stranded. This rebuild included new lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, and pivots. After running a full camshaft break in procedure, I wound up taking a 50 mile round trip drive. It was great. The only noise was from the exhaust.
Fast forward to today and the sound has slowly returned over the past week. It's still not as bad as it was before, but it sucks I still have to listen to it cruising around. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse. My best guess is one of the lifters I installed has something wrong with it and I'm just SOL. I pulled the valve cover and re-torqued the rocker arms with no improvement. I do not plan on pulling the head for lifters again so I guess it was what it is.
tldr: Spent $350 for 50 miles of tick free driving. Now it's back. I'm just gonna live with it.

Sounds like the cam is flattening, did you check it? Also did you check the lifter pre-load?

Back