NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Old February 7th, 2020, 12:01
NAXJA Member

Re: New oiling project........

How about a completely different solution to the issue? How about an oil pressure switch that keeps the ignition from firing until the oil pressure comes up. Rotating the engine while not firing causes very little wear. The pressures from the combustion cause the bulk of the friction. Cranking brings up the oil pressure on its own.
Old February 7th, 2020, 13:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
How about a completely different solution to the issue? How about an oil pressure switch that keeps the ignition from firing until the oil pressure comes up. Rotating the engine while not firing causes very little wear. The pressures from the combustion cause the bulk of the friction. Cranking brings up the oil pressure on its own.
See post #4, plus I've been doing it this way for 40 years.
Old February 7th, 2020, 18:22
NAXJA Forum User

This afternoon I got the pressure line cut and fit-up. It's not very long but that's a good thing. I still have to tap the pressure sender block to tie it in.
Old February 7th, 2020, 20:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
From another thread....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
All engines see their most wear at start-up and with a 10k stroker you kind of want to protect that(plus there is the thought of a Turbo which requires after-oiling).

I wanted to add that I'd also like to park this thing vs a DD, that means when I do come out to fire it up I don't want to do anything but push a button. Another side benefit is after a oil change all you have to do is hit the button!
Old February 9th, 2020, 13:34
NAXJA Forum User

Got a little done this weekend! Got the new stereo installed(it's great) and my push button switch. Got the wiring out to the pump, I will work on the rest tomorrow. I also finished up the pressure tap and installed.

Old February 10th, 2020, 20:38
Stranger

Nice work.

Will that allow you to bring your oil filter out the top? Or will you have to remove the oil filter out the bottom? One of the little things I like about these straight sixes is the fact that I don't have to be under the vehicle when I pull off that horizontally mounted oil filter.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old February 11th, 2020, 07:09
NAXJA Forum User

Tanks, The filter removal shouldn't change any, I'll take a better pic when I'm done. Today it's cold and rainy but the only thing left to do is finish the wiring(next couple days) and install the pan this weekend to complete this project. I have the pick-up hose done and ready to go.
Old February 11th, 2020, 17:13
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I'm glad to see you hooked in at the sender fitting for the prelube output instead of modifying a filter adapter, was going to suggest that. Is that a small filter I see connected to it with a 90deg fitting? I hope so.

The only thing I'd worry about in what I'm seeing here is that the flex line from the prelube pump to the inline filter looks like it might be stiffer than the 90 fitting from the filter to the engine. I'd hate to see that 90 stress fracture over time and dump all your oil. I might be overestimating how stiff the flexible line is though.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old February 11th, 2020, 18:31
NAXJA Forum User

That red fitting is the check valve, the oil goes in before the filter and #4 braided is very flexible.
Old February 13th, 2020, 10:00
NAXJA Forum User

I finished up the harness less tying in the power/ground. Today I will remove my RE track-bar brace and tomorrow I will put it up on jack stands, drain the oil, and start removing hardware.
Old February 13th, 2020, 21:51
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Gotcha, for some reason I thought the pressure sensor was post filter.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old February 15th, 2020, 19:13
NAXJA Forum User

Pans off but I ran into a snag, I was inspecting for another issue when I found what I didn't want to. The thrust bearing has major wear and I'm looking as to why? https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1157412
Old February 23rd, 2020, 12:51
NAXJA Forum User

GOT TO LOVE IT....

It's all done now and I can get 20psi prior to start-up. All my rattles on a cold engine are gone. Still needs some tweaking, the 3amp fuse blows as it comes to rotor lock-up so I will replace that with a 5 amp auto reset breaker and I should be good to go.
Old February 25th, 2020, 12:33
NAXJA Forum User

This is working out great.....

I think the reason for blowing the fuses was that the entire engine/oiling system was dry(I did wet-out the filter). As it stands now, I can get to 30psi without blowing a fuse(breaker's not here yet). The engine is loving it but I will not get on it until I verify the flex-plate run-out(and that's no guarantee). I need to shorten the pick-up hose about a inch to get it to a little better positioning.