• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making adjustables out of fixed control arms

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
I made the big mistake of buying fixed control arms when i bought my RE lift for my XJ....its created problems with pointing my pinion down too much causing vibration and a little bit of binding at times when on the trail. Moneys tight right now or else id just junk the whole things and do TNT's y-link setup, and i really dont want to buy new short adjustables only to toss them out later, so making my own adjustables out of my current fixed ones has crossed my mind. In all reality, couldnt i cut them in two, weld these in place?:
Imga0039.jpg

and run a peice of high grade allthread with some jam nuts?? Any reasons why that wouldnt work? Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new control arms.

I believe the parts pictured are called tube adaptors....at least, thats what poison spider calls em?? Anyone know what size i would need for the RE uppers and lowers so i wouldnt have to chop these things up before i ordered them?

That is called a threaded bung. You need the bung to fit y our inner tube diameter and the bung is then welded onto the tube. It can be done. . . . I have seen it done and it can work, but I advise buying quality stuff and having it welded by a pro.

I converted my RE upper arms with a poison spyder tube adapter welded to the arm, and a 3/4 bolt welded to the "U" shaped portion that is mounted to the axle end. This set-up with a jam nut gives me about 1.25 inch of adjustability.

Tally_XJ said:
That is called a threaded bung. You need the bung to fit y our inner tube diameter and the bung is then welded onto the tube. It can be done. . . . I have seen it done and it can work, but I advise buying quality stuff and having it welded by a pro.
To start off, i asked around for weld on "theaded bungs" today and got looks like i was on drugs by every knowlegable person i talked to today. They are called tube adaptors or weld on nuts...not sure where your getting this bung stuff??? :confused1

Second off, you dont know my welding ablities so recomending a "pro" was unnecessary. Its not like these are going to be hard to weld and i think ive layed a bead or two in my time. :rolleyes:

Which leads me to my second question by someone who can actually answer this....how thick is the walls on RE's 4.5 superflex uppers and lowers? Ive found a supplier for the tube adaptors for a good price, but they need to know the wall thickness so they can get me the proper ones....id rather not chop these up and have my Jeep torn apart in my garage for the next week while i wait for parts. Id like to do this in a single day and now have to worry about waiting for stuff. Im pretty sure their .120, but would like to get some positive reenforcement on that before i order the parts up.

the RE arms are .120 wall, i used my fixed RE arms to make my long arms.....id be more worried about those nasty RE welds than my own, im sure jeffro is too ;)

good luck man, im sure theyll come out great

Jeffro600 said:
To start off, i asked around for weld on "theaded bungs" today and got looks like i was on drugs by every knowlegable person i talked to today. They are called tube adaptors or weld on nuts...not sure where your getting this bung stuff??? :confused1

Second off, you dont know my welding ablities so recomending a "pro" was unnecessary. Its not like these are going to be hard to weld and i think ive layed a bead or two in my time. :rolleyes:

Which leads me to my second question by someone who can actually answer this....how thick is the walls on RE's 4.5 superflex uppers and lowers? Ive found a supplier for the tube adaptors for a good price, but they need to know the wall thickness so they can get me the proper ones....id rather not chop these up and have my Jeep torn apart in my garage for the next week while i wait for parts. Id like to do this in a single day and now have to worry about waiting for stuff. Im pretty sure their .120, but would like to get some positive reenforcement on that before i order the parts up.

Around here, in Florida, they are called threaded bungs. I have purchased these before and the invoice said "threaded bung". I guess it depends on who you are buying from. . .

Secondly, I recommended a "pro" simply because I DONT know you and I figured that if you had to ask a question like this, you might NOT know how to weld. I meant nothing offensive or derogatory about it

Jeffro600 said:
[To start off, i asked around for weld on "theaded bungs" today and got looks like i was on drugs by every knowlegable person i talked to today. They are called tube adaptors or weld on nuts...not sure where your getting this bung stuff??? :confused1

they are called bungs tard

Jeffro600 said:
chill out

[Beavis voice on] Huh huh, he said bung... [/Beavis voice off]

I know that was pretty lame but anyways.....
I've always heard them called bungs...

I'm Eastern and haven't heard of bungs either Jeffro... no big deal... I have fabbed up ALOT of stuff, but I'm to the point now where I would just rather spend the money and buy new arms than go through the hassle and work of making new ones. Maybe I'm just sick of fabbing, but that's my .02

ive also learned you don't cop an attitude on a site your f'ing freeloading off of.....almost 700 posts worth..... ill be red soon :)

jackass your rig sounds garbage anyways. if you knew so much you wouldnt have to ask, these people r tryna help you

skyjackedxj96 said:
jackass your rig sounds garbage anyways. if you knew so much you wouldnt have to ask, these people r tryna help you

I guess you gathered all that from me asking a question about making adjustables?? :rolleyes: Youve contributed nothing to this thread, so why continue to run your mouth?:dunno:

I asked because i was curious if anyone has done it and if they had any easier ways or words of wisdom(something you seem to be lacking....)....not so much wether or not it could be done.

Thank you to anyone else who has contributed to this in a positive way :viking:

skyjackedxj96 said:
your a dick.....god about half the people on this forum are just plain asses

again jeffro, good luck, and post pics when ur done

Back