• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 inch lift questions

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
To any and all,
I am looking to give a my stock '89 xj a little boost so that it can take me down some rougher roads but would also like to maintain current steering and ride quality. I'm thinking that 2 inches is really all that I am looking for right now and I have a few questions as to the best products/kits to purchase for such job. The safest, simplest and least expensive way seems to be using 2" coil spacers in the front and a 2"shackle on either side in the rear. I had also considered swaping out for a leaf pack that already has my desired lift since my rear is 20 years old and beginning to sag. My questions are as follows:

1) is a shackle/spacer combination an acceptable way to attain this lift?
2) is it better to use the pre-lifted leaves instead of the shackle?
3) are poly spacers better than using aluminum? (I have seen both for sale)
4) are there any commonplace complication associated with this type of lift or can I expect minimal change to my steering, ride, etc?

Thanks for reading
-Ecgtech

Well I have The same questions. Also I come from maine and have very Heavy lift laws I heard i can lift a ABS equipted vehicle If the Lift come from like rustys off road is this true?

ecgtech said:
To any and all,
I am looking to give a my stock '89 xj a little boost so that it can take me down some rougher roads but would also like to maintain current steering and ride quality. I'm thinking that 2 inches is really all that I am looking for right now and I have a few questions as to the best products/kits to purchase for such job. The safest, simplest and least expensive way seems to be using 2" coil spacers in the front and a 2"shackle on either side in the rear. I had also considered swaping out for a leaf pack that already has my desired lift since my rear is 20 years old and beginning to sag. My questions are as follows:

4) are there any commonplace complication associated with this type of lift or can I expect minimal change to my steering, ride, etc?

Thanks for reading
-Ecgtech

I haven't done a budget boost, but from what I've learned regarding them: Poly spacers are fine, I haven't heard of any issues with them. Aluminum should also be fine. I'd go with the poly spacers, they'll give you a slightly smoother ride as they transfer less vibration. It's probably not a major issue either way.

A 2" lift shackle will be 4" longer than the stock one. That's a pretty long shackle, most are 1" or 1.5" of lift. Lift shackles will also put more leverage on your already tired springs, likely causing them to sag even more. Another concern is rear pinion angle, the shackle will point it up as it raises the rear of the spring only. You can combat that with degree shims, but that's just throwing good money after bad IMO. I would buy a set of 2" lift leaf springs, that will give you the best ride quality and durability. Some people use lift blocks in the rear, but again, with sagging springs the blocks will only make them sag more. A full length add-a-leaf would be a decent choice, but will stiffen the ride up considerably.

ecgtech said:
To any and all,

Thanks for reading
-Ecgtech

1: yes its fine
2: Myself I like the clean look of new leaves instead of shackles but either is fine
3: I use poly and theyre quiet and work fine. Never had the aluminum before.
4: steering will not change at all, ride quality-it wont ride like a Cadillac but mine rides ok after I lifted it 2". One thing that you might want to do aftert hte lift id a front end alignment. the lift will slightly tow in the fornt tires so if you have a nice set, the alignment will set them right again.

One more question for someone who perhaps has 2" on their xj. What size tires would be appropriate for a lift of this height? I have heard that 31 inch tires will rub if you have only 2 inches but have heard that they run fine from other sources. Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Ecgtech

ecgtech said:
One more question for someone who perhaps has 2" on their xj. What size tires would be appropriate for a lift of this height? I have heard that 31 inch tires will rub if you have only 2 inches but have heard that they run fine from other sources. Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Ecgtech
It all depends how u use it. If you go offroad I would stick to a 235/75R15 or a 30X9.50R15. 31's will fit (depending on what wheels you have and offset etc.) If it just sees the street then you can fit 31's. I have 235's on a 2" lift on my Cherokee and I like the look of it. In my opinion it doesn't look like too mcu lift and not enough tire.

Back