• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Directions, location -

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Copied from Goatman's posts - thanks Richard - hope you dont mind! :gee:
Here are directions:

Take Hwy 168 heading NE out of Fresno/Clovis, towards Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake. The new freeway through Fresno turns into Hwy 168, so you can take it off of either Hwy 180 if coming from the north or Hwy 41 if coming from the south, check your map or Mapquest so you can see your route depending on which direction you're coming from. So, heading NE on Hwy 168, follow the signs to Shaver Lake, which is roughly an hour drive from Fresno. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake, make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there will be a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Continue on Dinkey Creek Rd for around 12 miles, and as you are coming into Dinkey Creek, look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Make a right turn at this sign onto McKinley Grove Rd......very important! If you miss this right turn, you will drive past the ranger station and the Dinkey Creek store and end up at Dinkey Campground. After making the right turn onto McKinley Grove Rd, immediately crossing the Dinkey Creek bridge, go for about 1/4 mile and look for the Camp Fresno sign on the left. At this sign, there are two roads that go to the left, the first cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, the second is road 10S36. Turn left onto 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, which is our camping spot. The camping is in the trees, but there is enough open space for trailers if needed. There is an outhouse down the road a short ways, and at the ranger station, and showers at the Dinkey Creek store.

It's best to gas up in Prather, you can easily run the trail and get back to Fresno on one tank. Also, block ice lasts much longer than cubed ice.

approximate location on google maps here

Last edited:
So as far as the camp area goes......Is it accessible by motorhomes with trailers?

I know that I've never had a problem with my Dodge (quad cab, long bed)...

I know that Andy Couch had his toy hauler behind his tow rig up there last time I was there.

I know that Richard had the slide in camper in his tow rig, and his trailer up there...

Might shoot a PM to Richard or BenH - they have been there a few times more than I, and might be able to give more incite?

Also - call the Dinky Creek Campground - and see what they say - they are literally right there.

There is room for a few motorhomes or large trailers, but the spots available for the bigger rigs need to be kept open. If others park Jeeps or tow rigs in those spots it could gret tight. Plenty of room, folks just need to be aware. There is plenty of room amongst the trees for most people.

Hi all.

There has been a change of plans. Instead of running several different trails we will be running Swamp trail on Friday and Saturday. There will be a chicken BBQ Saturday night, with a raffle. Sunday is a play it by ear type deal with opportunities to run Bald, Coyote, Brewer amongst other choices.

Dinner on Saturday night will consist of a bacon concoction, boneless chicken thighs, baked beans, macaroni salad, apple pie and possibly homemade ice cream. Anything you want to bring to throw on your grill is more than welcome. Dinner will be the typical $10, with all food donated by the B.O.D., it will be a good opportunity for the Sierra Chapter to increase its donation fund.

Prizes for the raffle are still in the works with a tool bag donated by Bryan C., a case of wine and a tool bag from myself. We are working getting more prizes put together. Any donations for the raffle will be greatly appreciated. As an incentive for donations of any kind, said donors will get 2x the amount of raffle tickets they purchase within reason. All proceeds will go to the Sierra Chapter fund. If you cant make it, but love raffles, post up and we'll have somebody be there to hold your tickets if you win.

Additionally we would like to gauge interest in T-shits and windshield placards (Placards would say: Naxja Sierra Chapter Member 2009-2010).
If you are interested please post up and we'll see if we can order some up.

Thanks all and I'll work up a good head count this week. See you up there. I'll put this up as a sticky.

Map of Swamp lake Trail:

SwampLake.jpg

Thanks for posting that up for me Dave. I like the additional touches.

Back